Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hello,
I am trying to translate the name of a municipal art gallery. The town's name is, let's say, Corowa.
So I suggest that the name of the gallery is something like "Pablo Picasso Art Gallery of Corowa".
The management of the gallery insists that the name should be "Pablo Picasso Art Gallery Corowa" i.e. without "of".
My question is is it correct to write the name of the gallery without "of"?
Thank you!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, it isn't.

I presume the management are trying to tag Corowa onto the end of the name to serve to identify the location of the museum. This may be due to the fact that there are other Pablo Picasso museums that this must be distinguished from. If this is the case, there would be in speech a pause before the town name Corowa. You can represent this pause in text with a comma:

The Pablo Picasso Art Gallery, Corowa

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe it's a residual effect of my time in Canada, where government agencies have names like "Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada", but the version without the comma works fine for me.

RobertPetroff

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Thank you for the explanation, jutfrank.
Indeed, what you said was my point, but in this case the name of the city Corowa serves mainly to emphasize that the gallery belongs to the municipality rather than to point to its location. There are no other Pablo Picasso galleries in the town. The gallery is unique and that's why I suggested using the first version with "of".

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Actually, there are several Picasso museums around the world. It doesn't matter if this is the only one in this particular town.

Still, I prefer your version with of.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for the explanation, jutfrank.
Indeed, what you said was my point, but in this case the name of the city Corowa [STRIKE]servers[/STRIKE] serves mainly to emphasize that the gallery belongs to the municipality rather than to point to its location. There are no other Pablo Picasso galleries in the town. The gallery is unique and that's why I suggested using the first version with "of".

Note my corrections above.

RobertPetroff

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Thanks for the correction. I work with servers most of the time. :)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm confused by the use of Pablo Picasso.

Is at a gallery or a museum?

If it's a gallery, does it sell the artwork it displays?

If it does, does it sell Picassos?

If it's a museum, is it a museum that only features Picassos?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Post 1 only mentions it being an art gallery. It was in post 2 that the word "museum" suddenly sprang up. I have assumed that it's a standard art gallery - it just has paintings on display for people to wander round and look at. In this case, I had also assumed that it only has works by Picasso but then I realised that was quite unlikely as it would be just too expensive to fill a whole gallery with original Picassos. So now I think the gallery is simply named after him and has maybe a few originals, but the rest of the paintings are by other artists.

RobertPetroff, can you clear up the confusion?

RobertPetroff

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
It is an art callery and it is the municipality's own. Paintings and other works are displayed, but there is nothing for sale. As emsr2d2 said, it's a classical art gallery. Emsr2d2, you are right, there are few originals and the rest of the works are by other artists. My question was if it was grammatically correct to write the name with or without of.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Post 1 only mentions it being an art gallery. It was in post 2 that the word "museum" suddenly sprang up.

Oops. Sorry, my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.