The number of computer ownership increased as educational level advance.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
In a chart from 2000 to 2010, the number of computer ownership increased as educational level advanced.

For example, the percentage of computer ownership of high school graduate in 2000 was 30% while the percentage of computer ownership of master's degree graduate was 80% in 2010

Can I say the following? Please correct my mistakes?

1- There was positive correlation between advancing years and the number of computer ownership by educational level.

2- Computer ownership increased by educational level as years advanced from 2000 to 2010

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 21.48.20.png

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about:

1- There was positive correlation between advancing years and the number of computer ownership by and educational level over time.

2- Computer ownership increased by with educational level as years advanced from 2000 to 2010

I don't like using "advancing years (to do with aging)" or as "as years advance".

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please correct my mistakes?

1- There was positive correlation between advancing years and the number of computer ownership by educational level.

There are a few mistakes, so let's start here: The bold part is wrong. Remember that computer ownership is an uncountable abstract idea, so it can't have number.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
There are a few mistakes, so let's start here: The bold part is wrong. Remember that computer ownership is an uncountable abstract idea, so it can't have number.

First of all, thank you for your contribution and patience.

Could you please explain "computer ownership is an uncountable abstract idea, so it can't have number."?

I have two suggestions :

1- There was positive correlation between advancing years and computer ownership percentage by educational level.

2- There was positive correlation between advancing years and computer ownership's percentage by educational level.

In post #2 if I add "percentage."

Computer ownership percentage increased by educational level as years advanced from 2000 to 2010

As far as I know, "as" can be used with cause and effect.

Thank you again.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Could you please explain "computer ownership is an uncountable abstract idea, so it can't have number."?

I mean you can't say 'the number of computer ownership' because it doesn't have a number, it's uncountable.

I have two suggestions :

1- There was positive correlation between advancing years and computer ownership percentage by educational level.

2- There was positive correlation between advancing years and computer ownership's percentage by educational level.

You just mean 'computer ownership', without 'percentage'.

In post #2 if I add "percentage."

Computer ownership percentage increased by educational level as years advanced from 2000 to 2010

You don't need to say 'percentage'. You just mean Computer ownership increased ...

I can't comment reliably on the rest of your sentence because I don't understand the chart well enough. What do the red and blue bars mean? I can't see the relationship between time and education level. Please post a picture of the entire chart, including the key.

As far as I know, "as" can be used with cause and effect.

Not cause and effect exactly, no, but you can use it with changes over time, yes.

If I were being picky, I would point out that it isn't fully appropriate to talk of correlation in this case because one of the measures is time. It's more appropriately called a 'trend'. Correlation is when there's a relation between two data sets. The issue here is that what you're calling the advancing years (the period in question) is not a data set. To express the relational idea that you want, you can use the preposition with:

Computer ownership increased with time.

For a more or less equally simple expression of the same idea:

Computer ownership increased steadily over the period.
The percentage of people who owned computers increased steadily over period.

If you want to talk about the relation between the rate of computer ownership and the education level of the owner, then that is a correlation, so you could say:

There was a positive correlation between computer ownership and education level.

Also, this is a great opportunity to use an impressive 'the ... the ...' correlation sentence. Here's just one way to do that:

The higher the level of education, the greater the likelihood of owning a computer.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you so much.

I mean you can't say 'the number of computer ownership' because it doesn't have a number[1], it's uncountable.

You just mean 'computer ownership', without 'percentage'.
1 But it has a percentage. I am really sorry for taking up your time.

I mean, why can't I describe the percentage of computer ownership increased over the years given?

You don't need to say 'percentage'. You just mean Computer ownership increased ...

Please look at the graph once again, I highlighted the keys features including percentage

I can't comment reliably on the rest of your sentence because I don't understand the chart well enough. What do the red and blue bars mean? I can't see the relationship between time and education level. Please post a picture of the entire chart, including the key.

The chart is attached with highlighted features

The first graph shows a gradual increase of computer ownership percentage from 2000 to 2010 Including all years from 2000 to 2010

The second graph is a bit complicated

It is about the percentage of computer ownership in terms of educational level

The key difference between the two charts is that this graph in which blue figures represented 2000 while the red ones represented 2010 only two years

Unlike the first graph which started from 2000 to 2010, over the span of 10 years.

Not cause and effect exactly, no, but you can use it with changes over time, yes.

If I were being picky, I would point out that it isn't fully appropriate to talk of correlation in this case because one of the measures is time. It's more appropriately called a 'trend'. Correlation is when there's a relation between two data sets. The issue here is that what you're calling the advancing years (the period in question) is not a data set. To express the relational idea that you want, you can use the preposition with:

Computer ownership increased with time.

For a more or less equally simple expression of the same idea:

Computer ownership increased steadily over the period.
I highly agree with you that I should mention the time specified in the chart

Can I say the following?

1-Computer ownership increased with time given in the chart.

2-Computer ownership increased with time given in the trend.

3-Computer ownership increased with time span given in the chart.

Do I have to say given in the chart/ trend or does it consider redundant?

The percentage of people who owned computers increased steadily over period.

If you want to talk about the relation between the rate of computer ownership and the education level of the owner, then that is a correlation, so you could say:

There was a positive correlation between computer ownership and education level.

Also, this is a great opportunity to use an impressive 'the ... the ...' correlation sentence. Here's just one way to do that:

The higher the level of education, the greater the likelihood of owning a computer.

Do I have to use "the people who" before "owned computers increased steadily over the period."

I mean I can talk about the percentage of computer ownership without adding in the beginning" the people who"

If you are familiar with Task 1, it is about describing charts.

Let's say I want I want to talk about

"The graph shows changes in the amount of fast food consumed in the UK between 1970 and 1990"

Here I added "the people who" as you did.

Do I have to say "the percentage of people who consumed fast food restaurants increased from 1970 to 1990"?

The question is why can't I talk about "the consumption of fast food restaurants"

Why isn't wrong to say?

The percentage of consumption fast food restaurants increased from 1970 to 1990.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231007-221222.png
    Screenshot_20231007-221222.png
    495.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Could you please ask just one or two questions at at time?

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Could you please ask just one or two questions at at time?

There are two questions that confused me. I hope you can help me out. I am really sorry for taking up your time. Thank you again for your patience.

Question one

Can I say the following?

1-Computer ownership increased with time given in the chart.

2-Computer ownership increased with time given in the trend.

3-Computer ownership increased with time span given in the chart.

Question two

Do I have to use "the people who" before "owned computers increased steadily over the period."

I mean I can talk about the percentage of computer ownership without adding in the beginning" the people who"

"The graph shows changes in the amount of fast food consumed in the UK between 1970 and 1990"

Do I have to say "the percentage of people who consumed fast food restaurants increased from 1970 to 1990".

The question is why can't I talk about "the consumption of fast food restaurants"

Why isn't wrong to say?

The percentage of consumption fast food restaurants increased from 1970 to 1990.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

No, it's not right if you say that.

The phrase I showed you was with time. This means something similar to 'as time passed' or 'as the period in question progressed'. This supposes that you either already have mentioned, or intend to mention, the relevant time period.

Question two

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The chart describes the percentage of people who owned a computer. For example, if 10% of people own a computer, it means that you'd expect to find that only one person out of ten has a computer.

Yes, that's fine.

No, you didn't.

Do I have to say "the percentage of people who consumed fast food restaurants increased from 1970 to 1990".

If you want to talk about how many people consumed fast food in relation to the population as whole, then yes. If you don't mean that, then no.

I'll assume you did not mean to include the word restaurants in that sentence, which makes no sense, of course.

I don't understand your question. You can, of course, talk about the consumption of fast food if that's what you have to talk about. You can't, of course, talk about the consumption of fast food restaurants, since it's not possible to consume a restaurant.

Why isn't wrong to say?

I'm not sure I understand your question, and I can't tell if you're asking something about language or something about what percentages are. It doesn't make any sense to say the percentage of consumption when what you mean is the percentage of people.

Let's take three sentences, with different meanings:

a) Consumption of fast food increased.

This means that the amount of food that was consumed increased.

b) The number of people who consumed fast food increased.

This means that more people ate fast food. For example, it went from 10 million people to 15 million people.

c) The percentage of people who ate fast food increased.

This means that more people ate fast food relative to the population as a whole. It's very likely that sentences b) and c) mean the same thing, but that's not necessarily the case. It's possible mathematically that the number went up and the percentage went down.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
blue figures represented 2000 while the red ones represented 2010 only two years

Okay, yes, I can see that now. The key is very small and so I missed it before.