Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

How many vowels does "snake" have? My answer was CCVCE but the book's answer is CCVC. Is the final consonant not counted?
It is from "English Pronunciation in Use" by Mark Hancock.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Snake" has one vowel when it's pronounced. What do CCVCE and CCVC mean?

[EDIT] OK, that's evidently the pattern of consonants, vowels, and silent Es. I don't know the convention for including the E so I don't know the answer.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not sure I understand the question. The vowels are a, e, i, o, u.* In the word snake the final e is not pronounced. But you already know that, don't you?

_______ ____________ ________________
*And sometimes y

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I find their answer very bizarre. The word "snake" has five letters. Three are consonants and two are vowels. That is indisputable. It makes no difference whether each letter is pronounced when the word is spoken aloud.

If the question were "How many vowels can you hear when the word "snake" is spoken aloud?", you could argue that the answer is "One".

Also, if the question only asks how many vowels it has, why does the answer tell you how many vowels and consonants it has?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I find their answer very bizarre. The word "snake" has five letters. Three are consonants and two are vowels. That is indisputable. It makes no difference whether each letter is pronounced when the word is spoken aloud.

If the question were "How many vowels can you hear when the word "snake" is spoken aloud?", you could argue that the answer is "One".

Also, if the question only asks how many vowels it has, why does the answer tell you how many vowels and consonants it has?

I don't know. Do you agree with their answer that "rabbit" has one consonant "r" one vowel "a"one consonant, "bb", followed by "i" vowel and a consonant "t"? I noticed that it counts two consonants and vowels as one. For example, for "bee" it says CV not CVV.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the book is dealing with pronunciation, I wonder if the author isn't referring to syllable patterns or rules for syllable division.

However, I still don't understand your question - you ask if the final consonant isn't included, but even the book's answer includes the final consonant. The book's answer doesn't seem to include the silent 'e', but that's a vowel, not a consonant as you refer to it.

Did you mean to ask if the final vowel isn't counted?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know. Do you agree with their answer that "rabbit" has one consonant "r" one vowel "a"one consonant, "bb", followed by "i" vowel and a consonant "t"? I noticed that it counts two consonants and vowels as one. For example, for "bee" it says CV not CVV.

It definitely seems to be referring to syllables and syllable division.

The double 'ee' is one vowel sound. The division into syllables and consonants refers to the sounds, not the actual number of letters. Similarly, the two b's represent one sound.

However, to keep the two vowels short, we have to double the 'b' to keep the CVC pattern (and thus keep the vowels short) as closed syllable type. We don't pronounce doubled consonants as two separate consonant sounds, however.

Does the text not make a distinction between letters and sounds?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't believe that the author of the book doesn't clarify how you have to answer the question.

YAMATO2201

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
My answer was CCVCE
snake
⇒ /sneɪk/
⇒ /s/ (C) /n/ (C) /eɪ/ (V) /k/ (C)
⇒ CCVC

rabbit
⇒ /ræbɪt/
⇒ /r/ (C) /æ/ (V) /b/ (C) /ɪ/ (V) /t/ (C)
⇒ CVCVC

bee
⇒ /biː/ [/bi/ in Longman Advanced American Dictionary]
⇒ /b/ (C) /iː/ (V)
⇒ CV

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It has two vowels: A and E.

Just in case I'm misunderstanding the question:

- The E is silent.

- The A is a diphthong: It has two sounds, eh-ee.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Just to clear up this thread—the writer certainly is talking about vowels in the phonological sense. The letters a/e/i/o/u have nothing to do with this.

The word snake has 4 sounds (CCVC), together producing one syllable. (See post #11)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Just to clear up this thread—the writer certainly is talking about vowels in the phonological sense. The letters a/e/i/o/u have nothing to do with this.

The word snake has 4 sounds (CCVC), together producing one syllable. (See post #11)
It has four sounds the "ei" isn't counted separately, is it?
"S" "n" "ei" "k"

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
How many times do we need to say this?

Sorry if I missed that but you can definitely ask your question in a more polite way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.