Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The words "the ocean" and "seas" are very confusing for me. Would you please help me understand them?

Ocean: [singular] (especially North American English) the mass of salt water that covers most of the earth’s surface

Sea: (often the sea) [uncountable] (also literary seas [plural]) (especially British English) the salt water that covers most of the earth’s surface and surrounds its continents and islands

"The ship was dredged from the depths of the ocean."

Is the above sentence still correct if that happened in the Carrebean Sea, the Black Sea, Caspean Sea, Persian Gulf, the Red Sea? It seems that definiton of "the ocean" still fits.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, your sentence is fine. You could however specify that it was 'dredged from the depths of the Caribbean' or whichever body of water.

'Sea' vs. 'ocean' is mostly a geographical distinction. There is of course technically only one ocean covering the planet, but for the convenience of map making and reference, we divide them into smaller units. Probably back when they started making maps, they had no idea these were all connected anyway.

As I understand it, 'seas' are generally smaller areas, and closer to land - often at least partially enclosed by land. Here's one explanation.

Of course there's often a lot of overlap and synonymous use of the terms, as in 'sail the seven seas'.

Of course the Caspian Sea and the Dead Sea are technically lakes, so you can see there's a lot of leeway in how the terms are used. Possibly they're called lakes because they have high enough concentrations of salt in them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Used countably, an ocean is a geographical region. On Earth, these regions include the Atlantic, Pacific, etc.

Used uncountably, ocean is a terrain type.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Of course the Caspian Sea and the Dead Sea are technically lakes, so you can see there's a lot of leeway in how the terms are used. Possibly they're called lakes because they have high enough concentrations of salt in them.
Do you actually mean "Possibly they're called sea because ... they have high enough concentrations of salt in them"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you actually mean "Possibly they're called sea because ... they have high enough concentrations of salt in them"?
Good catch, hhtt21. I'm certain that's what Skrej meant (well, probably "seas").

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, that's exactly what I meant to say (although pluralized as ems said). I shouldn't post in the wee hours of the morning....

Status
Not open for further replies.