[Grammar] The Present Unreal Conditional in a ‘no matter how’-clause instead of an if-clause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
“No matter how much power I stood to gain, I would not betray my convictions.”

Is it acceptable to use the Present Unreal Conditional in a ‘no matter how’-clause instead of an if-clause? I suppose this conditional statement could be paraphrased using an if-clause:

“Even if I stood to gain a great deal of power, I would not betray my convictions.”

“Even if I were to gain a great deal of power, I would not betray my convictions.”

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All the sentences work for me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They're all good sentences. The meanings are (very) slightly different.

“No matter how much power I stood to gain, I would not betray my convictions.” "No matter how much" is more emphatic than your "even if" construction. But it has the same literal meaning.

Is it acceptable to use the Present Unreal Conditional in a ‘no matter how’-clause instead of an if-clause? I suppose this conditional statement could be paraphrased using an if-clause:

“Even if I stood to gain a great deal of power, I would not betray my convictions.” The "stood" means that gaining power is a hypothetical possibility.

“Even if I were to gain a great deal of power, I would not betray my convictions.” The "were" means that gaining power is a hypothetical certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.