Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear all,

The IPA of

Bill /bɪl/
Billy /bɪli/

But the pronunciation of "Billy" when I hear is /biːli/, I wonder if anyone could explain it to me why the IPA shows /bɪli/

Thanks and kind regards,
Peter

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I wonder if anyone could explain it to me why the IPA shows /bɪli/
That's the way native speakers pronounce it. Who have you heard saying /biːli/?

Welcome to the forum.
:hi:

oldbuddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary App and some other pronouncing dictionaries and many native speakers, everyone pronounces the first syllable is /bi:/, same as B, not /bɪ/

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm afraid you're mistaken.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oldbuddy, please update your profile with your correct native language.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
------

If what little I know about Chinese is true, your native language doesn't have the /
ɪ/ sound; it only has the /i/ sound. I think this is exactly what causes you to think that what you hear is the /i/ sound while in reality it's actually the /ɪ/ sound.

Personally, I've spent quite some time on this phenomenon, which is very common among learners. Your brain is so good at recognizing patterns that over the years of speaking Chinese it has learned that there are many deviations from the /i/ sound you produce yourself. Every person's voice sounds slightly different, and it recognizes all of them as the same sound, the /i/ sound.

It's a very useful mechanism when talking to someone with a speech impediment, someone who's drunk, or anyone whose pronunciation is for any reason unclear. It allows you to understand them even though their pronunciation is off from what your brain takes as "the model pronunciation", your own personal pronunciation, that forms the baseline for your brain when deciding how to interpret what you're hearing.

Although it is very useful when speaking Chinese, it severely impairs your ability to properly recognize the sounds of a foreign language, a language that has sounds that your native language does not. It makes your brain misinterpret sounds similar to the ones you're familiar with. In this case, it makes you perceive the /
ɪ/ sound as yet another deviation from /i/. You can think of it as something similar to an optical illusion or pareidolia—you can't always trust what you think you see, or, in this case, hear— or better yet, think of it as the autocorrection feature of your phone that is gratingly miscorrecting the words you type, and you have to disable it.

Fight it! Practice a lot with minimal pairs. Master producing the /ɪ/ sound. Make sure your own pronunciation of /ɪ/ is right and clearly different from /i/. Only then will you train your brain that these are two separate sounds that should never be mistaken for one another. It takes time, but it's worth it.

Billy is pronounced /bɪli/. If you can't hear it, it means you haven't trained your brain enough yet.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I had three Chinese students whose written English was nearly perfect but whose speech was unintelligible. After a frustrating session of trying and failing to convert sen co lo into seven o'clock I decided to befriend the student. I asked him to teach me some Chinese. Then the shoe was on the other foot. I felt I was duplicating his pronunciation but he kept saying "No, no, no, completely wrong."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yup.

I used to work with an Iranian who tried to teach us all his alphabet. There were two letters that sounded EXACTLY the same to all of us. As I recall, they both sounded to us like snyrr. We got one right, but every time we got to the other one, he'd say, "Not snyrr! SNYRR!"

When one of my nieces was five, she decided she wanted us to call her Cathy. But she pronounced it Caffy. Every time we called her that, she'd say, "Not Caffy. CAFFY!"

When it comes to learning a language, we're all five-year-olds for a while.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When it comes to learning a language, we're all five-year-olds for a while.

One of the pithiest remarks I've ever read was "Every two-year-old is a linguistic genius." I think it was in Stephen Pinker's The Language Instinct.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

If what little I know about Chinese is true, your native language doesn't have the /
ɪ/ sound; it only has the /i/ sound.
Oddbody gives American English as their native language in their profile.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Oddbody give American English as their native language in their profile.

I have for sale a bridge in New York City that may interest you. :-D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sorry, no spare cash. I bought Big Ben last week, and the shipping costs are rather higher than I'd anticipated.

Last edited:

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Who still pays for shipping in this era of Covid? Neophyte.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was once party to a conversation where an American used "rendezvous" with a Frenchman. The Frenchman had no idea what word was being said. It was only after explaining the meaning that he said "Oh! You mean 'rendezvous'!"

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I live near Versailles and Bellefontaine, Ohio. No Francophone would ever guess their names are French from the local pronunciations, "verse-ails" and "bell-fountain".

Status
Not open for further replies.