Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
LIVE: The Queen is Making Her Final Journey as Charles III Proclaimed King Across UK
[Souce]
---
"Proclaimed" in the past form sounds weird to me, when the writer is saying "The Queen is Making Her Final Journey". What do you think?

How about " The Queen is Making Her Final Journey as Charles III has Proclaimed King Across UK"?

A simple example: Tom is watching TV when Jane finished her homework.

I don't think it works for me. :oops:

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Charles III has proclaimed King" is ungrammatical and untrue. He hasn't proclaimed anything. He has been proclaimed King. It's the passive voice.

The only word that could be added to the original is "is", before "proclaimed". He was proclaimed king by various people in the last 24 hours, in various countries. The official proclamation is read out by different people in different regions.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Ah, I didn't know the use of "proclaim" well. Grammartically, "he has proclaimed himself King". (That's not the ture, just an example.)

However, intersestingly, in the original title the "is" before "Making" is kept while the second one is omitted. That is kind of confusing, I'd say.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, I didn't know understand the use of "proclaim" well. Grammartically Grammatically, it's "He has proclaimed himself King". (That's not the ture true; it's just an example.)

However, intersestingly interestingly, in the original title the "is" before "making" is kept while the second one is omitted. That is kind of confusing, I'd say.
It's not confusing at all. The late queen's journey from Balmoral to London is an ongoing journey so the present continuous is appropriate. Her body's being driven/flown down to London in stages.
A king is proclaimed (officially, I believe) just once, but lots of different people have to read out the proclamation in different regions.

I don't know why you gave the example of "He has proclaimed himself King". It's grammatical but it has nothing to do with this thread.

Please take more care with your spelling. The three main spelling errors above would have been picked up by an English spellchecker on your browser. I suggest you install one. If you don't want to do that, take the time to read your own posts very carefully before you submit them.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It's not confusing at all. The late queen's journey from Balmoral to London is an ongoing journey so the present continuous is appropriate. Her body's being driven/flown down to London in stages.
A king is proclaimed (officially, I believe) just once, but lots of different people have to read out the proclamation in different regions.
Well, what I meant is that I would expect either both of the "is" are omitted or both of them are kept. However, the writer only kept one and omitted the other, why? That doesn't sound logical to me. That is confusing.

I don't know why you gave the example of "He has proclaimed himself King". It's grammatical but it has nothing to do with this thread.
It does. In post #1 I said "... as Charles III has Proclaimed King Across UK." Apparently, I misunderstood the use of "proclaim". The structure is "proclaim somebody/something/yourself + noun", so in post #4 I gave the example of "He has proclaimed himself King" to indicate that I had understood.

Please take more care with your spelling. The three main spelling errors above would have been picked up by an English spellchecker on your browser. I suggest you install one. If you don't want to do that, take the time to read your own posts very carefully before you submit them.
Fair enough. I'm going to get one. ;)

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That is confusing.
You are going to have to live with the fact that newspaper headlines frequently cause problems for people who are not native speakers of Engish

Status
Not open for further replies.