Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"The sheet of paper you are writing the letter on."

Please click HERE to listen and correct my pronunciation, or point out anything where it is unnatural.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The sheet of paper you are writing the letter on."

Please click HERE to listen and correct to my pronunciation, or then point out anything where it is unnatural or incorrect.
Make sure you put the sentence in your main post as well as in your title. Note my other corrections to your second sentence. Don't make the entire sentence the hyperlink - choose one word and link through that. I've added "HERE" and made that the link.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've listened to the recording. It's understandable, although it's difficult to know if I would have completely understood it if you hadn't already told us what you were saying.

Four things:
1) Be really careful with the word "sheet". If you don't lengthen the "ee" enough, it can sound like the rude word "shit".
2) I'm not sure if you meant to contract "you are", into "you're" but the recording sounds like the contraction. However, you wrote "you are". Make sure that your recordings exactly match the transcription.
4) The "t" in "sheet", the "t" in "writing" and the "tt" in "letter" sound like "d", "d" and "dd". I don't know if you're doing this on purpose. It's a feature of some dialects but it's not necessary to emulate it. To clarify, it sounds like you're saying "The sheed of paper you're riding the ledder on".

ryankopf

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need more space between all your words. Say each word separately and pause between them. Trust me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need more space between all your words. Say each word separately and pause between them. Trust me.
That's not going to result in natural-sounding English. We just don't talk like that. For individual words that a learner struggles with, I entirely support enunciating them slowly and carefully until they're comfortable with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.