Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
In the title of an English essay: " The subject I've enjoyed studying" and "The subject I enjoy studying" , which one is grammatically correct?
Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the Of these two options for the title of an English essay, "The subject I've enjoyed studying" and "The subject I enjoy studying", which one is grammatically correct?

Thanks in advance. Unnecessary. Thank us only after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful.
Please note my corrections above and note that I have improved your thread title.

I don't find either of them natural. If you're going to talk about only one subject (and you currently study it), I'd use "The subject I enjoy studying most".

Yethu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
Please note my corrections above and note that I have improved your thread title.

I don't find either of them natural. If you're going to talk about only one subject (and you currently study it), I'd use "The subject I enjoy studying most".
How about 'The subjects I've enjoyed studying'? It is grammatically correct?

UE-SPMIW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Both of the titles you provided are grammatically correct, but they convey slightly different meanings.

The title "The subject I've enjoyed studying" is in the past tense. It implies that the subject you enjoyed studying is no longer being studied, or that you have completed your study of that subject.

On the other hand, "The subject I enjoy studying" is in the present tense. It implies that you are currently studying the subject and that you find it enjoyable.

The choice of which title to use would depend on the focus of your essay. If the essay is about a subject that you've already completed and enjoyed, then "The subject I've enjoyed studying" would be more appropriate. If the essay is about a subject that you are currently studying and enjoying, then "The subject I enjoy studying" would be more appropriate.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about 'The subjects I've enjoyed studying'? Is it grammatically correct?
Yes, but I would probably say:

The subjects I enjoy studying.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Yethu What is your reason for wanting to use the present perfect?

Status
Not open for further replies.