Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When talking about games is the definite article required before a game's name?
Which article would be the correct choice in the example with an asterisk and which sentence marked by an asterisk sounds more idiomatic?

My favourite game is "the hide and seek", "the blind hen"and "guess the movie".
Guess the famous scene from a movie is the funniest part of the game "guess the scene". *Usually the team that collects more points wins/usually the team with more points wins.* There are three teams. The first team asks a member from the second team to act out a scene from *the/a*movie the second team has in mind.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know why you would want to. We don't say "the hide and seek" for example. And we don't put "the" in front of the names of any other games.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I don't know why you would want to. We don't say "the hide and seek" for example. And we don't put "the" in front of the names of any other games.
Could you tell me which choice marked by asterisks is correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When talking about games, is the definite article required before a game's name?
Which article would be the correct choice in the example with an asterisk and which sentence marked by an asterisk sounds more idiomatic?

My favourite games is are "the "Hide and Seek", "The Blind Hen"and "Guess the Movie".
"Guess the famous scene from a movie" is the funniest (Do you mean "funniest" (the most funny) or "the most fun"?) part of the game "Guess the scene Movie".

*Usually, the team that collects more points wins. ✅
U
sually, the team with more points wins.* ✅

There are three teams. The first team asks a member from the second team to act out a scene from *the/ a specific movie. the second team has in mind. What about the third team?
See above.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Guess the famous scene from a movie" is the funniest (Do you mean "funniest" (the most funny) or "the most fun"?) part of the game "Guess the Movie."

I mean it's the funniest part of the game. If I say it's "the most fun" or "the most funny" how would the meaning change?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
fun (enjoyable) - more fun, most fun
funny
(amusing) - funnier, funniest

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Guessing the famous scene from a movie is the most fun part of the game "guess the scene". There are three teams. The first team asks a member of the second team to act out a scene from a movie the second team has in mind.
That's confusing. You need to explain it in more detail if you want people to who don't already know the game to understand what you are saying.

How do the people on the first team know what the people on the second team are thinking? Are they mind readers?

If a game is between two teams the team with more points wins. If it's between three teams the team with the most points wins.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How do the people on the first team know what the people on the second team are thinking? Are they mind readers?
That's why I made the change I did in post #7. Did you look at my corrections in that quote box?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
fun (enjoyable) - more fun, most fun
funny
(amusing) - funnier, funniest
I mean how do you use "the most fun"?

"Guess the famous scene from a movie" is the funniest (Do you mean "funniest" (the most funny) or "the most fun"?)"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Rachel Adams Well, they are similar. The funniest is what gets the most laughs. However, you can have fun without a lot of laughter involved.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
@Rachel Adams Well, they are similar. The funniest is what gets the most laughs. However, you can have fun without a lot of laughter involved.
So "funny, funnier the funniest. (Amusing)

Fun, more fun, the most fun. ( Enjoyable)

But "more funny" and "the most funny" are the forms of "fun", aren't they? I don't understand what's the basic form.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Funny (adjective) > funnier > funniest
Fun (adjective/noun) > more fun > most fun

"Funny" (when used with the definition we're discussing, rather than "weird") requires laughter to be involved. Associated words are "amusing/hilarious/hysterical".
"Fun" doesn't require laughter. Associated words are "enjoyable/entertaining/diverting".

As indicated above, "fun" can be both an adjective and a noun.
That was fun. (adj)
That was a lot of fun. (noun)

Status
Not open for further replies.