The throne had six steps leading up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
The throne had six steps leading up to it.

This is a sentence from the Bible. I wonder, is up necessary? Would the meaning be different if they said leading to it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I still don't understand what you mean when you say 'necessary'. Do you even know?

Yes, of course the meaning would be different. Why on earth do you think someone would use a word if it doesn't have any meaning? You should be asking what meaning the word up adds to the sentence.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I assumed it should be steps leading to the throne, in the same way that, say, a road leads to a city. I guess the word up indicates an upward direction. My question is, since we're talking about steps, would the meaning still be clear without the addition of up?

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I guess the word up indicates an upward direction.

Yes, it can do, and it does here, as is clear by the fact that we're talking about steps.

However, up doesn't always mean an 'upward' direction in the vertical sense. It can also have a horizontal sense. Maybe I'm in the street and I walk up to you. Or maybe you're driving up the road to the shops. In other words, it can also mean 'forward' as well as 'upward'.

Another thing to note is that up often carries a very basic sense of 'all the way'. You could say There was a red carpet leading up to the throne and your reader would understand that the carpet stops only at the foot of the throne. In this context, if you omit up, this won't be so clear. Every word counts.

My question is, since we're talking about steps, would the meaning still be clear without the addition of up?

Is that what you mean by 'necessary'? That the meaning is still clear? I'm always going to say no to this question because I'm more fixated on meaning than other forum members. It's much better to ask what meaning words bring to an utterance rather than asking whether you can dispense with them. As a writer, you ought to understand this, since you're trying to develop your sensitivity to language. Remember that your sentences are intended to create vivid pictures in your reader's mind. You can learn to control the focus of these images by using 'focus' words. I'll argue that if you omit up, you make it that much harder for the reader to readily form a picture in her mind. It may be only a fraction harder, but it makes a difference.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Very simply, "The throne had six steps leading to it" doesn't indicate whether those steps go up or down (on the way to the throne!)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Good point, though most are higher.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I'll argue that if you omit up, you make it that much harder for the reader to readily form a picture in her mind.

Her mind? Was that a typo or are you referring to a certain female reader? :loling:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Her mind? Was that a typo or are you referring to a certain female reader? :loling:

No, I was referring to readers in general. Whether they're female or male is totally irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.