The use of "bill" for currency notes in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Do Americans use "Bill" for the US currency notes? Like I have heard an American saying "It's a one dollar bill" while holding a one dollar currency note.

In my country a bill is an invoice or a written or printed statement that has a figure on it that you are supposed to pay for using a service or purchasing something. Like you go to a restaurant, order something to eat, and when you are done eating the waiter brings you a piece of paper with a figure on it that you either have to pay directly to the waiter or at the cash counter.

So if one dollar bill is a one dollar currency note in the USA, do British people also refer to the Pound Sterling as a bill in the UK?

Regards,
Aamir the Global Citizen

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes, we Americans call a banknote (in particular, a US banknote) a "bill".

The word "bill" has many meanings: it is also a statement showing money you owe, such as a credit card bill or a gas bill. It also means a beak, such as a duck's bill. It also means a proposal for a law, to be submitted to a legislative body for approval or revision.

In restaurants, however, we Americans call that slip of paper a "check".

I've never heard a British person use "bill" to refer to pounds.

Often, new British arrivals to the US will call a dollar bill a "note", which we understand. Technically there's nothing wrong with that: it's what the banking industry calls them. In fact, the words "This note is legal tender..." are printed on every dollar bill. It's just that "dollar bill" is a collocation: to native speakers of American English, the two words go together naturally.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some people in the US South call the restaurant "bill" the "ticket." You'd ask the server for your ticket, instead of asking for your check.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... do British people also refer to the pound sterling as a bill in the UK?
No, we don't — in fact, our lowest value banknote is £5.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Yes, we Americans call a banknote (in particular, a US banknote) a "bill".

Often, new British arrivals to the US will call a dollar bill a "note", which we understand. Technically there's nothing wrong with that: it's what the banking industry calls them. In fact, the words "This note is legal tender..." is printed on ever dollar bill. It's just that "dollar bill" is a collocation: to native speakers of American English, the two words go together naturally.

Thanks for confirming it. Let me add something more to the US dollar bills and kindly confirm them as well if what I have heard is true. Let's begin.

A twenty dollar bill (banknote) is also called a "Jackson" because it has the picture of President Jackson on it, right?

One hundred dollar bill is also referred to as "C-Note", because C is the Roman numeral for one hundred, US hundred dollar bills are also called "Benjamins" and "Benjis", since President Benjamin Franklin is pictured on them. They are also known as "Yards" as well as "Centuries". Is that right?

A fifty dollar bill can be a "half-yard". Is it also called "half-century"?

One thousand dollar bill is called "one grand" or "a grand", which I am already familiar with because it has long been very commonly used in Hollywood movies. In addition, one thousand is also represented by the letter "K" which came from the Greek kilo. You might hear somebody saying, "I bought a car that cost me 25 k." or something like "He is earns a handsome salary that is 50 k."

I think "K" for a thousand is pretty common in other parts of the world as well. It is popular here in Pakistan as well.And finally, US dollars or US currency notes are also referred to as "Dead Presidents", since all the presidents pictured on these currency notes have passed away.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I believe that pound notes are still in circulation in Scotland.

What currency do they use in Scotland other than pound sterling, euros or do they have a currency of their own?

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Thanks for confirming it. Let me add something more to the US dollar bills and kindly confirm them as well if what I have heard is true. Let's begin.

A twenty dollar bill (banknote) is also called a "Jackson" because it has the picture of President Jackson on it, right?

One hundred dollar bill is also referred to as "C-Note", because C is the Roman numeral for one hundred, US hundred dollar bills are also called "Benjamins" and "Benjis", since President Benjamin Franklin is pictured on them. They are also known as "Yards" as well as "Centuries". Is that right?

A fifty dollar bill can be a "half-yard". Is it also called "half-century"?

One thousand dollar bill is called "one grand" or "a grand", which I am already familiar with because it has long been very commonly used in Hollywood movies. In addition, one thousand is also represented by the letter "K" which came from the Greek kilo. You might hear somebody saying, "I bought a car that cost me 25 k." or something like "He is earns a handsome salary that is 50 k."

I think "K" for a thousand is pretty common in other parts of the world as well. It is popular here in Pakistan as well.And finally, US dollars or US currency notes are also referred to as "Dead Presidents", since all the presidents pictured on these currency notes have passed away.
I've never heard a $20 bill being called a "Jackson". I've only heard of a $100 bill being called a "Benjamin".

I've never heard "yard" or "century".

"grand" is common for $1,000. "K" is also common for denoting thousands.

The $10 and $100 bills don't have presidents on them: neither Alexander Hamilton nor Benjamin Franklin were presidents.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I've never heard a $20 bill being called a "Jackson". I've only heard of a $100 bill being called a "Benjamin".

I've never heard "yard" or "century".

"grand" is common for $1,000. "K" is also common for denoting thousands.

The $10 and $100 bills don't have presidents on them: neither Alexander Hamilton nor Benjamin Franklin were presidents.

According to wikipedia Benjamin Franklin served as the 6th President of Pennsylvania starting from October 18, 1785 through November 5, 1788, though not the President of the United States.

However, both Benjamin Franklin and Alexander Hamilton were among the founding fathers of the US.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
The UK is not part of the eurozone; therefore, no euros. In fact, someday the UK may not even be part of the EU. Scotland is part of the UK, as is Northern Ireland. The currency is the same as in England and Wales.

Yea, obviously, that's exactly what I thought initially but just as Piscean said in post 6 "I believe that pound notes are still in circulation in Scotland." I thought perhaps there was some other currency in circulation along with pound sterling.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
The Scottish currency is the pound sterling.

It just happens that in England and Wales, only the Bank of England can issue bank notes. In Scotland, three other banks can issue banknotes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_Scotland

Interesting, in fact, very very interesting. So the currency notes issued by the Bank of England in England and Wales are called "pound sterling" and are legal tenders. On the other hand, the currency issued by other banks in Scotland are also called "pound sterling" but they aren't legal tenders and they also look different from the "pound sterling issued by the Bank of England. Am I right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
On the other hand, the currency issued by other banks in Scotland are also called "pound sterling" but they aren't legal tenders and they also look different from the "pound sterling issued by the Bank of England.

They are legal tender, but that does not mean that you will be able to exchange Bank or Scotland pounds as easily as Bank of England ones. I did it in Lisbon, and it was not straightforward- they had to make a few phone calls first.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Yes, except that we never refer to them as 'pound sterling' in everyday life. We simply call them 'pounds', which is all that appears on them. The expression 'legal tender' is uncountable.

From your informative posts I've learned about the currencies in circulation in England and Wales (i.e. pound sterling), and the pounds in Scotland. What about the currency in circulation in Ireland? Do they have something similar to the Scottish pounds?

Let me add, I'm asking about the Northern Ireland that is part of the UK.

Last edited:

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

The history of Irish currency is very complex and very long. I think a person traveling from Pakistan won't have to buy Irish and Scotish Pounds but Pound Sterling unless they land into those territories. I don't think those currencies are available here in our currency market. Are Pound Sterlings also used along with the Irish currency in the Northern Ireland?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The expression 'legal tender' is uncountable.

A friend here dropped by this morning to change some Lao kip for pounds as he was on his way to the British Embassy and didn't have pounds of his own. He arrived to find that the embassy doesn't actually, err, take British money. Pounds don't seem to be that legal tender in British embassies. :crazyeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.