the word point, as used in geometry, for example, where two lines cross, is the meaning outside geometry

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You have circled the tip of each knife. The point is not just the last few atoms at the tip of the knife. It must have some length to be the point of a knife. And that length is narrow, like the top illustration in #5 above.
It seems you may be thinking that the word point, as used in geometry, for example, where two lines cross, is the meaning outside geometry because you saked if it meant "dot". In geometry yes, in other uses, no: it's the shape leading to and defining the end that is included in the meaning of point.

Source: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/narrow-point.4030254/#post-20685614

I think that "the word point is the meaning outside geometry" is not well written and that the word point can't be the meaning.
What do you say?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think that "the word point is the meaning out side geometry" is not well written and that the word point can't be the meaning.
What do you say?
The words you have quoted make little sense. The sense-unit is ""it seems you may be thinking that the word point, as used in geometry, for example, where two lines cross, is the meaning outside geometry".

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is "is the meaning outside geometry" a shortened form of "is (used with) the meaning outside geometry"?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why aren’t you discussing this thread in WordReferenceForums?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I already asked it to him in private messages. However, I'm still having trouble understanding the part.
I need some expert and professional help.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you just trying to understand what he means? Or are you asking something about the way he says it?

the meaning outside geometry = a sense other than the mathematical sense of the word

He's saying that the word 'point' has a mathematical sense and an everyday sense, and in this case the relevant meaning is the everyday sense and not the mathematical one.

Yes, it's badly phrased.