Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is "two thousand two hundred" the correct and only pronunciation of the year 2200?

It's one possible way of saying it. I'd use "twenty-two hundred" but that's just personal preference. I prefer to end with "hundred" for any year ending "00".

I agree with Ems. (Note that we pronounce 2020 twenty-twenty.)

It's correct, possible but I would prefer as in EMS's reply.

It's one possible way of saying it. I'd use "twenty-two hundred" but that's just personal preference. I prefer to end with "hundred" for any year ending "00".

Regarding the year 2005 it is "twenty oh five" or "two thousand and five" are only the only possible ways of pronouncing it. Right?
Or 1908 "nineteen oh eight." Or "Nineteen hundred and eight." Is the "oh" which is never pronounced as "zero" informal? If I am not mistaken "zero" is never pronounced.

It's correct, possible but I would prefer as in EMS's reply.
Would you care to rephrase that ungrammatical response, Yankee?

(Please don't refer to emsr2d2 as 'EMS'.)

Regarding the year 2005, "twenty oh five" or "two thousand and five" are only the only possible ways of pronouncing it. Right?
Or 1908 "nineteen oh eight." Or "Nineteen hundred and eight." Is the "oh" which is never pronounced as "zero" informal? If I am not mistaken "zero" is never pronounced.

I think you are right. When discussing years we don't say "two zero zero five" (for example).

I agree with emsr2d2. (Note that we pronounce 2020 twenty-twenty.)
emsr2d2 prefers to have her username unabbreviated.

I think you are right. When discussing years we don't say "two zero zero five" (for example).

But is saying "oh" an informal style?

Never say never. Some people say that.

When I say that some people say something, I'm always referring to native speakers.

Rachel, there are almost always exceptions. In fact, you can count on it.

Some people just have to be different. Or they just are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back