There was one cluster of meanings that were essentially community integrative, that denied social differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogergx

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In this sentence "There was one cluster of meanings that were essentially community integrative, that denied social differences."

1) Is community (a noun) modifying integrative (an adj)?
2) IF the second "that" refers to "meanings", why "and" is not used before it (as two "that" is in parallel as in "A and B")? or the second "that" refers to some other word in this sentence?

Thanks.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Please give the source and author of any material you quote. This is a legal requirement.

Once you have provided that information we can answer your questions.

rogergx

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please give the source and author of any material you quote. This is a legal requirement.

Once you have provided that information we can answer your questions.
This sentence is quoted from John Fiske's Jeaning of America chapter 1, the fifth paragraph.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1. Although community is usually a noun, in this case it modifies integrative. Sixty years ago I was taught in school that it was to be called a "substative adjective", but grammatical terminology may have changed since then.

2. I'm no grammarian, but the parallelism tells me that both THATs have the same grammatical function. Relative conjunction?

Lycidas

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this sentence "There was one cluster of meanings that were essentially community integrative, that denied social differences."

1) Is community (a noun) modifying integrative (an adj)?
2) IF the second "that" refers to "meanings", why "and" is not used before it (as two "that" is in parallel as in "A and B")? or the second "that" refers to some other word in this sentence?

I agree that "community" modifies "integrative." Normally, a hyphen is used to connect a noun with an adjective it modifies: "This textbook is learner-friendly," "Some people are computer-illiterate," "These clothes are wilderness-ready." If I had written the sentence, I would have written "community-integrative."

As to the "that"s, I agree that they are both relative pronouns. I understand the second "that"-clause to be in apposition to the first. Each "that"-clause puts the same thing in a different way. A cluster of meaning that is essentially community-integrative is a cluster of meanings that denies social differences.

Reading the rest of the paragraph (here), which is about how students viewed wearing jeans, helped me arrive at my interpretation the "that"-clauses.

Status
Not open for further replies.