Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

My friends and I were eating in a restaurant. She ordered a tin bottle of herbal tea. When the tea was served, there was a glass of ice next to the tea. At that time we didn't notice the glass of ice but later we did. She then asked what was the ice for? I said "They go with the beverage". Is the italic sentence natural? I wanted to express that she needed to pour the herbal tea into the glass of ice to drink the cold one if she wanted".

What is a "tin bottle"

I would say:
It goes with the tea.
It is for the tea.

Last edited:
My friends and I were eating in a restaurant. She ordered a tin bottle of herbal tea.
Do you mean "friend" instead? Otherwise, who is "she"?
Use "Some herbal tea", "a bottle of herbal tea" or "bottled herbal tea"; "a tin bottle of herbal tea" is unnatural.

[STRIKE] When[/STRIKE] The tea was served [STRIKE], there was[/STRIKE] with a glass of ice. [STRIKE]next to the tea.[/STRIKE] At that time, we didn't notice the glass of ice, but later we did. She then asked what was the ice for? [1] I said "They go with the beverage". Is the italic sentence natural? [2] I wanted to [STRIKE]express[/STRIKE] say that she needed to pour the herbal tea into the glass of ice to drink [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] it cold [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] if she wanted.
1- Write:
She then asked what the ice was for.
Or
She then asked "What's the ice for?"

2- No. Just say: "It's for the (herbal) tea (you've ordered)".

Do you mean "friend" instead? Otherwise, who is "she"?

Yes. I meant two of my friends.

1- Write:
She then asked what the ice was for.
Or
She then asked "What's the ice for?"

2- No. Just say: "It's for the (herbal) tea (you've ordered)".

I am about to write these down in my notebook.

Yes. I meant two of my friends.
Then you can't go on to refer to one of them as "she" without first narrowing down who you're talking about.

Hi.

My friends and I were eating in a restaurant. She ordered a tin bottle of herbal tea. When the tea was served, there was a glass of ice next to the tea. At that time we didn't notice the glass of ice but later we did. She then asked what was the ice for? I said "They go with the beverage". Is the italic sentence natural? I wanted to express that she needed to pour the herbal tea into the glass of ice to drink the cold one if she wanted".

If it's common and regular that the restaurant serves glasses of ice with bottled tea, I think it's better to say '...herbal tea. The restaurant serves a glass of ice with a bottled tea'.

Last edited:
If it's common and regular that the restaurant serves glasses of ice with bottled tea, I think it's better to say '...herbal tea. The restaurant serves a glass of ice with a bottled tea'.

The restaurant serves bottled tea with ice.

The restaurant serves bottled tea with ice.

I was completely oblivious to switch the phrases to their right places. :)

Last edited:
She was supposed to pour the tea into the glass.

Beverage is one of those words that everyone knows but no one uses conversationally — like frankfurter and influenza.

You're just as likely to hear 'The ice cubes come with the beverage' (they're included in the price).

Eh, I use and hear the euphemism 'adult beverage' fairly regularly. The phrase seems to be in vogue lately.

Just the other day I heard a radio advertisement for a local joint that purportedly offered "the best selection of adult beverages around".

Eh, I use and hear the euphemism 'adult beverage' fairly regularly. The phrase seems to be in vogue lately.

And Cosmo, too, no doubt!

Just the other day I heard a radio advertisement for a local joint that purportedly offered "the best selection of adult beverages around".

That's just what I mean. You hear it in ads and see it on menus all the time, but no one ever says, "Man, it's hot today! I'd kill for an ice-cold beverage!"
Another: automobile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back