They got the investigative agency to investigate/probe into/scrutinize the matter.

Sammy Sam

Member Type
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Suppose there was a burglary in a bank or somewhere else. Which one of the following is grammatical and natural

They got the investigative agency to investigate the matter.

They got the investigative agency to probe into the matter.

They got the investigative agency to scrutinize the matter.

I thing the first one is fine but redundant because of the presence of "investigative and "investigate". Do we have any other word to substitute"investigative"

English.channel1991

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Based on the information I gathered from the Oxford Dictionary and English-corpora.org, All three have close definitions to each other but "scrutinize" seems to be the least common verb to be used in this case. the other two, on the other hand, are more suitable.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Suppose there was a burglary in a bank or somewhere else. Which one of the following is grammatical and natural?

They got the investigative agency to investigate the matter.
2. They got the investigative agency to probe into the matter.
3. They got the investigative agency to scrutinize the matter.

I thing think the first one is fine but redundant because of the presence of "investigative and "investigate" makes it awkward. Do we have any other word to we can substitute for "investigative"?
Please note my corrections above. You seem to be allergic to question marks!
Whenever you give us more than one sentence to look at, please number them. It makes it easier for us to refer to them in our replies.
I'm not familiar with "investigative agency". I'd expect maybe "investigation agency".

All three verbs are possible. I'd probably just use "look into".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The investigative agency in most countries probably has a snappier name — like police/garda/FBI, etc

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The investigative agency in most countries probably has a snappier name — like police/garda/FBI, etc
I was thinking it was something like a detective agency or private investigator. @Sammy Sam Please clarify what you meant by "investigative agency".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If I understand the question properly (I'm not sure I do), you're asking about the meaning of words, and you're not especially interested in how good your example sentence is.

If you're talking about an investigation, then obviously 'investigate' is the best word! If you're not talking about an investigation, why would you elicit an 'investigative agency' to make your example? It doesn't matter that you've repeated the word since it's a deliberately artificial and inauthentic sentence.

(You could also use 'look into'.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK