[Grammar] This is a little part of wuthering heights and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie9274

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
hello.I'm not sure whether this is the right thread to be here.
I know I don't have a proper english skill to read an original edition.but..I'm wondering about how these commas work.

I, who had determined to hold myself independent of all social intercourse, and thanked my stars that, at length, I had lighted on a spot
where it was next to impracticable, I, weak wretch, after maintaining till dusk a struggle with low spirits, and solitude, was finally compelled to
strike my colours, and, under pretence of gaining information concerning the necessities of my establishment, I desired Mrs
Dean,when she brought in supper, to sit down while I ate it, hoping sincerely she would prove a regular gossip, and either rouse me to animation, or lull me to sleep by her talk.
-Wuthering Heights-

The numbers and marks except the commas has nothing to do with the original writings.
"I,weak wretch,after maintaing till....." why is this line inserted for what purposes?
I mean....where can I link this line to?

And "hoping sincerely she would prove a regular gossip"? I don't know what this means too.Is it some sort of a literary way?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Billie, I started to look at this, but got very distracted by the extra marks. If you want us to look at a text, you need to give it to us without anything added.

Billie9274

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm sorry. I removed them all.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
hello.I'm not sure whether this is the right thread to be here.
I know I don't have a proper english skill to read an original edition.but..I'm wondering about how these commas work.

I,who had determined to hold myself independent of all social intercourse, and thanked my stars that, at length, I had lighted on a spot
where it was next to impracticable, I ,weak wretch, after maintaining till dusk a struggle with low spirits, and solitude, was finally compelled to
strike my colours, and , under pretence of gaining information concerning the necessities of my establishment, I desired Mrs
Dean,when she brought in supper, to sit down while I ate it,hoping sincerely she would prove a regular gossip, and either rouse me to animation, or lull me to sleep by her talk.
-Wuthering Heights-

The numbers and marks except the commas has nothing to do with the original writings.
"I,weak wretch,after maintaing till....." why is this line inserted for what purposes?
I mean....where can I link this line to?

And "hoping sincerely she would prove a regular gossip"? I don't know what this means too.Is it some sort of a literary way?

They were much freer as to both syntax and punctuation in the 19th century - when this was written.

He calls himself 'weak wretch' because of an earlier scene, in which he had left the dining* table saying he was going to his room. After a while he 'struck his colours' [the metaphor is based on what sailing ships did when they were about to fight]. Asking for Mrs Dean to come was an admission of defeat.

'A regular gossip' is someone who talks a lot about other peoples' business. 'Regular' doesn't mean 'at regular intervals'. It's an intensifier (used more in those days than now).

b

PS *As I remember it was the kitchen table; He probably wouldn't have retired to his room if he hadn't been required to eat with the servants! But my memory's hazy; I read this in 1967.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Note that we do not have a space before a punctuation mark; we do have one after it.

Billie9274

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you so much for helping me!!
I also removed a space before a punctuation mark; it looks better.

What do you think of reading a classical literature like this one?- very difficult, but very formal. and there are also many punctuation marks, so mayby I can get close to the grammar. some people say it's way better than learning an informal things.

But the others say that 'you read that?just start with easy books like children read.'

I consider both are reasonable, but what is your opinion about it?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much for helping me!!
I also removed a space before a punctuation mark; it looks better.

What do you think of reading a classical literature like this one?- very difficult, but very formal. and there are also many punctuation marks, so mayby I can get close to the grammar. some people say it's way better than learning an informal things. I disagree. It probably is better to read a more-or-less formal text, but it must be a modern one. You don't want to learn what words used to mean, and you don't want to learn archaic syntax (and indeed punctuation). Also, people who answer may know a more current version; so you'll be misled and frustrated.

But the others say that 'you read that?just start with easy books :up: like children read:cross:.'

I consider both are reasonable, but what is your opinion about it?
...unless you're a child. ;-)

b
PS I admire your enterprise though! :up:

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would start with 20th century works, like Tolkien.

Status
Not open for further replies.