Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
A person in a bowling alley takes a bowling ball reaches behind his back and throws the ball between his legs towards the pin and hit them.

Please check my sentence.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A person in a bowling alley takes a bowling ball, reaches behind his back and throws the ball between his legs towards the pinS and hitS them.

:)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm looking forward to a simple sentence or two about what you had for dinner, Tufguy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found a video of a guy actually bowling between his legs. But I don't know how to post a link to it using this mobile device, so I shared it on Facebook. There are also images of people using two-handed, behind the back throws.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Like the parkour video, I'd have trouble explaining this to someone without either demonstrating it with my own body or showing the person the video. Is explaining such a video really something you have to do on a day-to-day basis?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The term used in the Huffington past article seems OK to me: between-the-legs bowling trick.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, I think your description should read something like this: A young man arrived at a bowling alley. He had just finished the delicious meal his mother had served him. She'd made some of his favorites: chicken tikka masala, rice, saag paneer, and her signature rice pudding for dessert.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy, I think your description should read something like this: A young man arrived at a bowling alley. He had just finished the delicious meal his mother had served him. She'd made some of his favorites: chicken tikka masala, rice, saag paneer, and her signature rice pudding for dessert.

But these are not the only things you talk about. You talk about a lot of things. Do I need to keep explaining to someone what I ate? Nobody asks this and nobody wants to hear this either. By getting the answers to these kinds of questions you come to know about a lot of things. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But these are not the only things you talk about. You talk about a lot of things. Do I need to keep explaining to someone what I ate? Nobody asks this and nobody wants to hear this either. By getting the answers to these kinds of questions you come to know about a lot of things. :)
I don't want you to learn to describe only mundane things like what you had for dinner. It's just that describing complicated activities like parkour and bowling tricks is not a useful exercise for people who still struggle with some English basics.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The bowling trick is not a conventional way of bowling, so there is no official term. When people do unexpected things that go against conventional patterns, we have to describe them as best we can. If this becomes a standard bowling technique, we'll think of a term for it. As we often borrow words, we might do something like take nutmeg from football.

Status
Not open for further replies.