Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Can "veneer" be used in my sentence? Would you please correct my sentences?

The veneer of Kevin's and Sheila's happy marriage cracked when they went on holiday to Portugal. He wanted to stay on the seaside as they had planned, but she wanted to go to Lisbon and visit a couple of museums and do some sightseeing. She thought that if you travel to Portugal, you should not only sunbathe and eat, but also visit the capital and enjoy cultural richness of the country.
Kevin was overweight and suffered from hypertension. He told Sheila that he didn't want risk getting a stroke while strolling through the boiling streets, but she was adamant that she would go there. One morning at breakfast, Kevin heard her chatting with a couple of British tourists who planned also to travel to Lisbon. A few hours later, she picked up her bag, and with the words, "I'm going. You stay safe," she climbed into a red Audi, which drove off.

Kevin sat at the balcony, shaking his head as he watched the red car disappear into the distance. He felt stupid. Sheila had never done anything similar before. He searched for a rational explanation for her behaviour but couldn't find any. Then the word "menopause" flashed in his mind. He had heard that during menopause some women behave strangely because of their hormonal changes. Sheila must have been one of them. But then, another voice told him that even if you have menopause you don't leave your husband alone. He was hurt because he knew he would never dream about doing to her the similar thing. "So paintings and churches are more important to you than I," he said and drained a glass of water, but the thirst was growing on him, and he felt that no amount of water would quench it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can "veneer" be used in my sentence? Would you please correct my sentences?

The veneer of Kevin's and Sheila's happy marriage cracked when they went on holiday to Portugal. He wanted to stay [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] at the seaside as they had planned, but she wanted to go to Lisbon [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] to visit a couple of museums and do some sightseeing. She thought that if you travel to Portugal, you should not [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] just sunbathe and eat, but also [STRIKE]visit[/STRIKE] explore the capital and enjoy cultural richness of the country.

Kevin was overweight and suffered from hypertension. He told Sheila that he didn't want to risk [STRIKE]getting[/STRIKE] having a stroke while strolling through the [STRIKE]boiling[/STRIKE] streets under the boiling sun, but she was adamant that she would go there. One morning at breakfast, Kevin heard her chatting with a couple of British tourists who also planned [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] to travel to Lisbon. A few hours later, she picked up her bag, and with the words, "I'm going. You stay safe," she climbed into a red Audi, which drove off. Who drove?

Kevin sat [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] on the balcony, shaking his head as he watched the red car disappear into the distance. He felt stupid. Sheila had never done anything similar before. He searched for a rational explanation for her behaviour but couldn't find [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] one. Then the word "menopause" flashed into his mind. He had heard that during menopause some women behave strangely because of their hormonal changes. Sheila must have been one of them. But then no comma here another voice told him that even if you [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] are going through the menopause, you don't leave your husband alone. He was hurt because he knew he would never dream about doing [STRIKE]to her the[/STRIKE] something similar [STRIKE]thing[/STRIKE] to her. "So paintings and churches are more important to you than I am," he said. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] He drained a glass of water, but [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] his thirst was growing [STRIKE]on him[/STRIKE], and he felt that no amount of water would quench it.

See above.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
emsr2d2,

I thought it was grammatically correct to say "a car drove off" in this case, an Audi. I understand that there are many collocations with "car" like a car pulled away, pulled up, pulled out, stopped....and I believe that in this case "drove off" is OK? Or am I wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can say that. I thought it would be more interesting to know whether she hired a car of her own and drove away, or got into the car belonging to the couple who wanted to go to the city.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I believed a reader would understand that she went with the couple she talked with a few hours ago, and that it was their car.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That would have been my best guess but it wasn't 100% clear.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Their marriage isn't happy, so I'd say "the happy veneer of their marriage," not "the veneer of their happy marriage."

Status
Not open for further replies.