Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Could you tell me please how you understand to be shots in this Russian skit cover of Elton John's Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word? Starts from 4:25.

What do I gotta do to make you Lenin?
What do I gotta do to be shots?
What do I gotta do to kill Denikin?
"Contra" seems to be the hardest word.

A little context: Denikin was a prominrent military leader in the White Army ("contra"), Chapaev - in the Red Army (the Bolshevics). Contra is a short colloquial form of counterrevolutionary. Chapaev is at the piano.

Last edited:
It seems to be a brand new phrase. It's a mystery to me what it's supposed to mean.

Apparently, the writer is Russian. Maybe that means something in Russian somehow.

I think it's meant to be 'to be shot'.

OK. What does "to be shot" mean there?

It means 'killed with a gun'. Chapaev was shot and believed to have drowned in the Ural river.

"To be shot" seems what they wanted indeed, although it's a weird line here IMO. I believe What do I gotta do not to be shot? would fit much better.

Agreed.

"To be shot" seems what they wanted indeed, although it's a weird line here IMO. I believe What do I gotta do not to be shot? would fit much better.
Now we're getting somewhere. Perhaps: "I believe that what I've got to do is not get shot."

In that clip they seem to be performing in front of a Russian audience.

Now we're getting somewhere. Perhaps: "I believe that what I've got to do is not get shot."

In that clip they seem to be performing in front of a Russian audience.
Yes, it's a long-running show called KVN. This particular episode is about 20 years old.

@güey I'd be surprised if the average Russian knew much slangy English.

It might help to know that the original song lyric that they're playing on is this:

What have I got to do to be heard?

They've simply replaced 'heard' with 'shot'. Using, 'not' would change the stressing and rhythm of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back