Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
“I hate the bloody stuff,” my father used to say, tossing down straight shots of whiskey. “Ah...” Once he had conquered the agony of getting it down, he glowed with the pleasure of it

Source: Paragraph Practice, 5th edition 1984, Kathleen E. Sullivan

Does the word “straight” mean “not mixed with water or anything else” and modify the noun “whiskey”? If so, why isn’t it put just before “whiskey”?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Straight" can refer to the contents of the whiskey, or the manner of drinking it. Here it is about how it is drunk.

"Straight whiskey" is actually a legal definition in the US. It refers to whiskey that is all whiskey. Contrast with a "blended whiskey," which must contain at least 20% straight whiskey, but can also contain neutral grain spirits, and possibly flavors and colors.

Which means that one could drink straight whiskey on-the-rocks (with ice) or blended whiskey straight.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not much of a drinker, but if somebody drinks liquor "straight" it's usually with nothing added to it -- no water, no soda, nothing but whiskey (in this case).

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I believe in this context "straight" is AmE and the BrE equivalent is "neat", but my knowledge may be out of date.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As a footnote, in Indian English a shot is a peg.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As another footnote, in the UK we're more likely to be drinking whisky (without the e, as that's Scotch. Whiskeys with an e are made elsewhere in the world).

Status
Not open for further replies.