English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, everyone.
I wonder what the phrase "break down the strata" mean in the following sentence.

This leaves the remaining part of the pie to the indigenous people who might be structurally constrained on employment grounds. To break down the strata, many jobs in the oil sector are masculine and therefore inclined to men.

Many thanks in advance.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, everyone.
I wonder what the phrase "break down the strata" mean in the following sentence.

This leaves the remaining part of the pie to the indigenous people who might be structurally constrained on employment grounds. To break down the strata, many jobs in the oil sector are masculine and therefore inclined to men.

Many thanks [STRIKE]
in advance[/STRIKE].
We can't know for sure without more information. At least, you need to tell us the source of the quotation. It would help to know what the article is about.

Meanwhile, have you looked up "break down" and "strata"? What did you learn?

Khorrami

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
First, this is the link to the full article in a newspaper.
Second, I know the meanings of "break down" and "strata" individually; however, I'm not sure of my understanding of the phrase here. What I GUESS, is this:
If we would like to have a closer look at the different classes/layers/sections of the society, ...

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh! I see your problem: The article is full of mistakes. English might not be the writer's first language.

You're right, strata there refers to social strata. (I had wondered if it was talking about breaking down the earth's layers.)

But the writer's meaning isn't clear to me, either. I don't see how giving all the jobs to men breaks down the social strata.

Maybe someone else here will have an insight.

Again, thank you for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.