Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"To catch a chill/cold in one's back."
Can you confirm please if you can use this expression when referring to lower back pain that you can suffer from after you've been sitting in a cold or draughty place?
I'm a Polish speaker and there is an expression like this in Polish ("Przewiało mnie") and I was wondering if there is a similar expression in English.
Thank you!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Barb23. :)

To my knowledge, there is no English version of that expression or any medical condition with that name.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's used here: "One of the most common complaints we hear when people come in with undefined low back or neck pain is that they think they may have “caught a chillin the back. The basic idea is that cold draughts or weather will cause a dramatic reduction in temperature of the spine or muscles, and that this somehow stays in the tissues causing ongoing aching and stiffness.". The author is Ben Kewish.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
An interesting experiment was conducted a few years ago at either Harvard or MIT, if mrmory serves. Students were divided into two groups and each group was seeded with one member who had a cold. Both groups were kept isolated from other people in a closed room over a weekend. One group was kept damp and cold and the other warm and dry. After the weekend there was no significant difference in the number of colds in each group.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have never heard that expression in AmE either. The provider is located in Australia, so perhaps it's an AuE phrase?

Reactions: 5jj

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Regrettably we have not heard from our antipodean expert @Raymott since 2021.