Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The primary function of a window is to let in light.
The sentence is from The American Heritage dictionary for Learners of English.The word "in" is an adverb? Can wu put it after the word "light"?
The primary function of a window is to let light in. Is it right? If it is right,which one is more common?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is the word "in" is an adverb?
Grammarians do not agree on this. It was traditionally considered an adverb, but some writers now consider it a preposition.
You can put it in either position you mention.

gtmm168

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If it is considered as a prepsition, as there is no object in the sentence, can the verb "let" be used as an intransitive verb in this condition?
But I can't find the sentences or usage in English dictionary. In the entry of the word "let" in Macmillan English dictionary for Advanced Learners, we can find it as follow,
"to allow something to happen: let sb/sth do sth; let sth in/out/through etc".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Grammarians can argue about the appropriate label for as long as they wish. It doesn't really need to worry learners who wish simply to communicate in the language. I think of 'let' as a transitive verb there.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Grammarians can argue about the appropriate label for as long as they wish. It doesn't really need to worry learners who wish simply to communicate in the language. I think of 'let' as a transitive verb there.

I completely agree with this. From my point of view as a teacher, it's often the case that the terminology of grammarians gets in the way. Whether it's right or wrong, I think it's very reasonable even to say that let in itself is a transitive verb, in that it takes an object: light. I mean, I know that's not correct but if it helps the learner to understand and use the language, then it's valid, in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.