Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
To whom it may concern, My name is Michael Brown. I have been a bird-watcher since childhood. I have always enjoyed watching birds in my yard...

Source: Korean exam.

1. What does "whom" refer to?
2. Is "to whom it may concern" a shortened form of "to anyone whom it may concern"?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
To whom it may concern, My name is Michael Brown.
It should be "whomsoever" and "my" shouldn't be capitalised. Yes, "whomsoever" means "anyone".

"To whomsoever it may concern" is used at the beginning of documents that aren't addressed specifically to a single person. What document is this?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
To whom it may concern,

My name is Michael Brown. I have been a bird-watcher since childhood. I have always enjoyed watching birds in my yard and identifying them by sight and sound. Yesterday, I happened to read an article about your club. I was surprised and excited to find out about a community of passionate bird-watchers who travel annually to go birding. I would love to join your club, but your website appears to be under construction. I could not find any information except for this contact email address. I would like to know how to sign up for the club. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Michael Brown

That is a question of a exam.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're going to sign the letter with your name, there's no need to open with "My name is Michael Brown". The rest of your letter is good.

The final sentence of your post should be "This was a question on an exam [I took]".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Well, I have only seen "whomsoever". I don't think "whom" works there.

It's also not an appropriate opening for this letter because he's addressing it to a specific club. Even if he doesn't know the name of anyone there, he could always address the letter to the club.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"To whom it may concern" is a standard, if old-fashioned, way to open a letter when you have no idea of the name or position of the person you're addressing. It's still used, just not as often as it once was.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems odd to me that it was on an exam even though they hadn't explained that to you.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you're going to sign the letter with your name, there's no need to open with "My name is Michael Brown". The rest of your letter is good.

The final sentence of your post should be "This was a question on an exam [I took]".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "To Whom It May Concern" is used normally as a heading with each word capitalized.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"To whom it may concern" is a standard, if old-fashioned, way to open a letter when you have no idea of the name or position of the person you're addressing. It's still used, just not as often as it once was.

In fact, I just used this form of address a couple of weeks ago when writing a letter of recommendation for a student. They needed two letters of recommendation to enter a program of study, but there wasn't any specific person listed as the contact, nor any committee stated to address it to.

"Whomsoever' seems antiquated and relegated to legalese nowadays. Granted 'whom' is also falling out of use, but it's still more common than 'whomsoever'