Today, scientists collect information worldwide ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjihu101

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, it's the first time for me to post on this website. I am not good at English. Please understand it.

"Today, scientists collect information worldwide in order to understand and predict for them."

Is this a sense-making sentence? I think the correct one is "Today, scientists collect information worldwide in order for them to understand and predict," but I'm wonder if first one can be used in the same meaning with the second one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Scientists today collect information worldwide to understand and predict things.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your original sentence is very unclear, ungrammatical and makes little sense. Your second sentence is better.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd use to make predictions. However, the main problem with the sentence for me is that we have no idea what information they are collecting. I get to the end of it and am not much clearer about what is happening- I guess that some, not all, scientists are collecting data worldwide, in an area I can't identify, to make predictions. Tell me more. ;-)

kjihu101

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Oh, my sentence is incomplete. It's my mistake. The exact sentence of first one is "Today, scientists can collect information worldwide in order to understand and predict for them changes in the weather more accurately", and that of second one is "Today, scientists can collect information worldwide in order for them to understand and predict changes in the weather more accurately"

kjihu101

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'd use to make predictions. However, the main problem with the sentence for me is that we have no idea what information they are collecting. I get to the end of it and am not much clearer about what is happening- I guess that some, not all, scientists are collecting data worldwide, in an area I can't identify, to make predictions. Tell me more. ;-)
Oh, my sentence is incomplete. It's my mistake. The exact sentence of first one is "Today, scientists can collect information worldwide in order to understand and predict for them changes in the weather more accurately", and that of second one is "Today, scientists can collect information worldwide in order for them to understand and predict changes in the weather more accurately"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That works better- I would use the second. For them in the first doesn't work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.