Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
In our home we have a rectangular piece of cloth for drying hands, and another one that has a different color for wiping the dining table.

We call the one for drying hands a towel.

Do you call the one for wiping the table a rag?

The cloths look exactly the same, except for the difference in color. I'm asking because my son is confusing the rag for a towel.

Is a towel for the body (plus dishes) while a rag is for things? Does the condition of the cloth suggest which word to use? Or is it just the function?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In our home we have a rectangular piece of cloth for drying hands, and another one that has a different color for wiping the dining table.

We call the one for drying hands a towel.

Do you call the one for wiping the table a rag? I'd call it a cloth.

The cloths look exactly the same, except for the difference in color. I'm asking because my son is confusing the rag for a towel.

Is a towel for the body (plus dishes) while a cloth is for things? Yes. Does the condition of the cloth suggest which word to use? Or is it just the function?

Bhai.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
A rag is a piece of cloth (usually old, and maybe torn from something else) that is used for cleaning things, before it is eventually thrown away. It's a piece of cloth at the end of its life.

A cloth or dishcloth or tablecloth is something that is specifically made for a purpose, just as a towel is.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Although we do have the term 'wash rags', which aren't really rags when they're a new product specifically made for washing.

Status
Not open for further replies.