Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I always thought that, when it came to transcriptions, we used brackets, e.g.: tell – [tel]. However, I have paid attention to the fact that lots of Internet resources use slashes to enclosed transcriptions. My question is: do we use slashes or brackets to enclose and start phonetic transcriptions?
Which is correct?
1. Render – ['ren.dɚ], obligor– [,ɒb.lɪˈɡɔːr], gerund – ['dʒer.ənd];
2. render – /'ren.dɚ/, obligor – /ˌɒb.lɪˈɡɔːr/, gerund – /ˈdʒer.ənd/.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Slashes enclose phonemic transcriptions; square brackets enclose phonetic transcriptions.

Sped Tiger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Slashes enclose phonemic transcriptions; square brackets enclose phonetic transcriptions.
So, do I use phonetic or phonemic transcriptions in my example?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Sped Tiger You'll get more help if you start to answer our questions (see post #5 in this thread and post #6 in this thread).

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
A good article on phonemic vs phonetic transcription is provided here. It uses the Mitchell and Delbridge symbols. The OP appears to be using phonetic transcription, so it must be square brackets.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
2. render – /'ren.dɚ/, obligor – /ˌɒb.lɪˈɡɔːr/, gerund – /ˈdʒer.ənd/.
The OP appears to be using phonetic transcription, so it must be square brackets.
I see nothing in those transcriptions to suggest they are not phonemic. A phonetician would not use phonemic /r/ for all the instances of r in those sentences.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I used this as a basis. That source transcribes the three words phonemically like this: ‘strewn’ /strun/; ‘tenth’ /tɛnθ/; ‘clean’ /klin/. And it transcribes the words phonetically like this: ‘strewn’ [stru:n]; ‘tenth’ [tʰɛ̃n̪θ]; ‘clean’ [kl̥i:n]. Just match these to the OP's transcriptions and you'll see it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I used this as a basis. That source transcribes the three words phonemically like this: ‘strewn’ /strun/; ‘tenth’ /tɛnθ/; ‘clean’ /klin/.
In the British system, /uː/ is the phonemic way of transcribing the vowel in strewn and /iː/ the transcription of the vowel in clean.
And it transcribes the words phonetically like this: ‘strewn’ [stru:n]; ‘tenth’ [tʰɛ̃n̪θ]; ‘clean’ [kl̥i:n].
OK, though those are fairly broad transcriptions if the first and last words.

Sped Tiger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Are you writing something? What exactly? And for whom?
For school. I have answered and explained your question in another thread already.

Sped Tiger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I see nothing in those transcriptions to suggest they are not phonemic. A phonetician would not use phonemic /r/ for all the instances of r in those sentences.
Those transcriptions were taken from the Cambridge Dictionary, and it uses slashes with all its transcriptions. Why?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Because this dictionary, like most others, gives phonemic, not phonetic, transcriptions.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For school.
Is the thing that you're writing for school going to be marked or graded? When is the piece of work due?
I have answered and explained your question in another thread already.
That doesn't matter. We can't be expected to remember what our thousands of users said in a different thread. In post #1 of every thread, we want users to give us full context, sources and authors (where applicable) and the reason for the question.

Sped Tiger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Is the thing that you're writing for school going to be marked or graded? When is the piece of work due?

That doesn't matter. We can't be expected to remember what our thousands of users said in a different thread. In post #1 of every thread, we want users to give us full context, sources and authors (where applicable) and the reason for the question.
Yes, it's going to be graded.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For school. I have answered and explained your question in another thread already.
Is the thing that you're writing for school going to be marked or graded?
Yes, it's going to be graded.
In that case, we can't help you any more. The forum rules state very clearly that we do not help with homework or assignments. Your teachers/tutors have no interest in what we can do. They want to see your work. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.