Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,
Is the word "go" a transitive or intransitive verb? It is known that words like arrive, happen are intransitive since they don't have passive form and do not require an object to complete the sentence. But transitive verbs are verbs which do require objects to complete a sentence. I want to know the verb "go" is transitive or intransitive. It seems that GO doesn't require an object but ask for a place which can be named as adverbal place. Would you please clarify this case to me?

Thanks.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am not a teacher

Some verbs such as go, arrive are always intransitive.

Transitive verb takes direct object. Direct object can be recognized by asking Subject + Verb + What/Whom?. For example, Mr. X is driving the car. Mr. X is driving What ? Car. That's the direct object. Therefore, "drive" is an transitive verb.

If it does not work in your sentence then it is an intransitive. verb.

For example, Mr. X goes to work every morning. My X goes what or whom? That doesn't make sense, so there is no direct object. Therefore, "go" is an intransitive verb.

Regards

Rajan

Dear teachers,
Is the word "go" a transitive or intransitive verb? It is known that words like arrive, happen are intransitive since they don't have passive form and do not require an object to complete the sentence. But transitive verbs are verbs which do require objects to complete a sentence. I want to know the verb "go" is transitive or intransitive. It seems that GO doesn't require an object but ask for a place which can be named as adverbal place. Would you please clarify this case to me?

Thanks.

Last edited:

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks Mike. But I don't see GO as transitive since it does not require direct object. Would you please correct me if there is any wrong with my understanding?

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Mike. But I don't see GO as transitive since it does not require direct object. Would you please correct me if there is any wrong with my understanding?

Thanks.

Did you follow the link I posted. There are number of uses of "go" that do take a direct object. They are not common uses, but they exist.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello Mike, let me bother you. Yes I did check the link. I think I lack knowledge of this case. If you do not mind, would you please give me a little bit of explanation of direct objects? The direct objects as I have learnt are words in a sentence that can mean "what and where".

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello Mike, let me bother you. Yes I did check the link. I think I lack knowledge of this case. If you do not mind, would you please give me a little bit of explanation of direct objects? The direct objects as I have learnt are words in a sentence that can mean "what and where".

Thanks.

Usually direct objects do not answer the question "where". A direct object is the noun, pronoun, or phrase that is the recipient of the verb's action.

Here is the listing I sent you to:

v.tr.1. To proceed or move according to: I was free to go my own way.
2. To traverse: Only two of the runners went the entire distance.
3. To engage in: went skiing.
4. Informala. To bet: go $20 on the black horse.
b. To bid: I'll go $500 on the vase.

5. Informala. To take on the responsibility or obligation for: go bail for a client.
b. To participate to (a given extent): Will you go halves with me if we win the lottery?

6. To amount to; weigh: a shark that went 400 pounds.
7. Sports To have as a record: went 3 for 4 against their best pitcher.
8. Informal To enjoy: I could go a cold beer right now.
9. To say or utter. Used chiefly in verbal narration: First I go, "Thank you," then he goes, "What for?"

In each case, the words following a form of the verb "go" is a direct object.

Status
Not open for further replies.