[Vocabulary] translation for rooning

Status
Not open for further replies.

summer111

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello,

I've been looking for a proper translation for the word 'rooning', but I couldn't find it in any of the internet dictionaries.

I'm looking for the expression "they are rooning for you".
The only word or expression I could find on the internet was "rooning around".

My guess is it's an American expression, because an English friend of mine never heard of it. I hope you can help me with this because I need it for subtitling.

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I've been looking for a proper translation for the word 'rooning', but I couldn't find it in any of the internet dictionaries.

I'm looking for the expression "they are rooning for you".
The only word or expression I could find on the internet was "rooning around".

My guess is it's an American expression, because an English friend of mine never heard of it. I hope you can help me with this because I need it for subtitling.

Thanks in advance.

I have never seen this in my life, nor did my internet search help.

However, I have a feeling it may be a typing error. Is it possible that it was meant to be:

They are ROOTING for you?

This is a phrase that means that someone is supporting you, or giving you encouragement, hoping that you win or succeed.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I also vote for "typo" and "rooting."

summer111

Member Type
Student or Learner
I found this ad:

car for sale vauxhall vectra,blue,2,0l, very good engine, very good rooning,ac,electric windows,electric mirror price negotiable no tax london north

and another one:

By his now exciting lakh, he was talented to speak over the male nobody, regarding the interesting sprawl by 26 help. Going to the food's 1998-99 free sample field, always of your blood would have been taken right to sub-samples but to more mortgage rooning and day. available, i think claire's market was in la for not the similarity added.

(I had to remove the links of the last one)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I found this ad:

car for sale vauxhall vectra,blue,2,0l, very good engine, very good rooning,ac,electric windows,electric mirror price negotiable no tax london north

and another one:

By his now exciting lakh, he was talented to speak over the male nobody, regarding the interesting sprawl by 26 help. Going to the food's 1998-99 free sample field, always of your blood would have been taken right to sub-samples but to more mortgage rooning and day. available, i think claire's market was in la for not the similarity added.

The first one is a typo it should be "running". The second example is complete nonsense from start to finish.

summer111

Member Type
Student or Learner
I noticed a lot of typo on the internet.

I still have no clue how to interpret the sentence : "There are a lot of people in the Universe that are rooning for you...

If it should be rooting, then how is this to be translated in this sentence?

thanks for your help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I noticed a lot of typo on the internet.

I still have no clue how to interpret the sentence : "There are a lot of people in the Universe that are rooning for you...

If it should be rooting, then how is this to be translated in this sentence?

thanks for your help.

The translation would be that there are many people in the world who are supporting you / encouraging you / really hoping that you do well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found this ad:

and another one:

I agree with the previous poster - the first should say "good running" although it should actually say "good runner" as that is a common term to describe a car which has no general problems.

If anyone can make any sense at all of the second, I will be very impressed!!!! I suspect that the original was put into a very poor internet translator, and this is the result.

summer111

Member Type
Student or Learner
The translation would be that there are many people in the world who are supporting you / encouraging you / really hoping that you do well.

I watched the video again in this context and it makes sense. I think I heard rooting now. It was hard to understand when I couldn't make op what the word meant.

Thank you very much for this translation.
:up:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just for fun, I'll give you another idiom that means about the same thing: There are a lot of people in your corner.

I guess that comes from boxing, where the boxer's trainer/coach/etc would be between rounds. If you have a lot of people in your corner, it's the same as a lot of people rooting for you -- both means they hope you do well. (I suppose if they are in your corner, they are willing to do something to help you succeed instead of just cheer for your successes, but they seemed good expressions to learn together.

Status
Not open for further replies.