Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

I am a linguistics student. Today, we had a discussion on the types of the sentences (simple, compound, complex and compound-complex) and I'm confused about a subject. What do we call a sentence with two main verbs like in the examples below? I wonder if they are called simple sentences or compound sentences?

''John fell and cried.''

''Jane came here and waited for me for a long time.''

As far as i know a simple sentence consists of just one independent clause, however, these sentences consist of two main verbs and in linguistics each potential head creates its own phrase, thus we have two verb phrases in each of these sentences. If we have two different verb phrases, doesn't it mean that we have two different independent clauses?

Thank you for your answers!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

I am a linguistics student. Today, we had a discussion on the types of the sentences (simple, compound, complex and compound-complex) and I'm confused about [STRIKE]a subject[/STRIKE] something. What do we call a sentence with two main verbs, like in the examples below? I wonder if they are called simple sentences or compound sentences.

''John fell and cried.''

''Jane came here and waited for me for a long time.''

As far as I know, a simple sentence consists of just one independent clause. However, these sentences consist of two main verbs and in linguistics each potential head creates its own phrase, thus we have two verb phrases in each of these sentences. If we have two different verb phrases, doesn't it mean that we have two different independent clauses?

[STRIKE]Thank you for your answers![/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button. You will be able to use that button once you have made ten public posts.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above.

They are simple sentences with compound verbs. You can read more HERE. Scroll down to "One subject and compound verb".

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Oh, thank you for both your answer and your corrections. I will pay more attention next time!

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are simple sentences with compound verbs. You can read more HERE.

It's interesting that that site describes "My mother hemmed and hawed over where to go for dinner" as a simple sentence even though it has two clauses.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do we call a sentence with two main verbs like in the examples below?

NOT A TEACHER

You may wish to study these sentences.

1. "Jack and Jill came up the hill." (Simple sentence with a compound subject)

2. "Jack came up the hill and went down again." (Simple sentence with a compound predicate)

3. "Jack and Jill came up the hill and then went down again." (Simple sentence with a compound subject and a compound predicate)

4. "Jack came up the hill, but Jill went down the hill." (Compound sentence)

5. "Jack and Jill came up the hill, but they went down again." (Compound sentence, in the first clause of which Jack and Jill is compounded)

Credit: Pence and Emery, A Grammar of Present-Day English (1947), page 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.