[Grammar] Uncountable nouns with an indefinite article/in a plural form such as "passion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Uncountable nouns with an indefinite article/in a plural form such as "passion"

Hello,

Uncountable nouns such as "passion" can sometimes take an indefinite article or a plural form.

Could somebody tell me why and/or the nuances of Sentences 2 and 3?

1. He delivered a sermon full of passion and inspiration. (uncountable)
2. The incident stimulated her (strong) passions. (emphasis?)
3. She has a (great) passion for swimming. (hobby?)

Inase

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Uncountable nouns with an indefinite article/in a plural form such as "passion"

She has an emotional response stimulated by swimming. It's one of a number of possible responses; perhaps her brother has a fear of water.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Uncountable nouns with an indefinite article/in a plural form such as "passion"

Who labels these idiotic so-called uncountable nouns? A noun, by definition, is always countable. It is the thing it represents that is uncountable. Even so, as the OP illustrated, passion can take both singular and plural forms. The label is therefore close to useless.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hello,

Uncountable nouns such as "passion" can sometimes take an indefinite article or a plural form.

Could somebody tell me why and/or the nuances of Sentences 2 and 3?

1. He delivered a sermon full of passion and inspiration. (uncountable)
2. The incident stimulated her (strong) passions. (emphasis?)
3. She has a (great) passion for swimming. (hobby?)

Inase

2 means emotions and 3 means a hobby or something she really likes.

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Language learners love grammar because it can save a lot of energy.
With respect to abstract nouns, it is easier for them to understand that "passion" denotes abstract concept like many other abstract nouns and therefore usually does not take an indefinite article and take a plural form, and that examples of "a passion" and "passions" are exceptions.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

A noun, by definition, is always countable. It is the thing it represents that is uncountable.

I'm not sure what you mean. Would you mind explaining this view a little?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I'm not sure what you mean. Would you mind explaining this view a little?
I can only guess Andrew means that it's always possible to count nouns.

Andrew, the concept of countable vs. uncountable nouns is important for learners. That's why it comes up so often on the forum. It's not idiotic. Understanding it is essential for correct writing.

Uncountable nouns are nouns that represent things that can't be counted. Most nouns categorized as uncountable do have applications in which they are countable. For example, you can't normally count water, but you may talk about the dangerous waters around Cape Hatteras.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Uncountable nouns are nouns that represent things that can't be counted. Most nouns categorized as uncountable do have applications in which they are countable. For example, you can't normally count water, but you may talk about the dangerous waters around Cape Hatteras.

That's exactly my point. The labeling supposedly helps students write better and draws the line between which noun can or can't take the plural form. However, more often than not these uncountable nouns can take the plural form. It seems a source of great confusion among learners (and that's why it comes up so often in this forum).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Lexicographers face the daunting task of condensing as much information as possible into each definition. One bit of information is a noun's countability. A good dictionary will explain, somewhere, how to understand their entries, and will warn that most nouns it labels "uncountable" can be used countably in certain cases. The reality is that few users ever read those explanations, leading to endless questions on usage forums like this one.

It's impractical for a dictionary to repeat the warning for every uncountable noun.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Uncountable nouns are nouns that represent things that can't be counted.

I don't want to confuse anyone by being too picky but I don't think this is accurate. You can count money but the noun 'money' is almost invariably used uncountably.

This area is a source of confusion for learners and teachers alike. It's important to remember that countability is a grammatical term that describes the way a noun is being used, in a particular instance of language in use.

Most nouns categorized as uncountable do have applications in which they are countable. For example, you can't normally count water, but you may talk about the dangerous waters around Cape Hatteras.

Are water and waters one and the same word or two different words?

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

To add to the confusion, money can take the plural form.

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

It is interesting to know that dictionaries say "waters" as in "British waters" means an area of sea while "airs" does not mean an area of air but a behavior. My logic tells me that "airs" also means airspace as in "British airs."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I'm afraid your logic deceives you: it doesn't.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It is interesting to know that dictionaries say "waters" as in "British waters" means an area of sea while "airs" does not mean an area of air but a behavior. My logic tells me that "airs" also means airspace as in "British airs."

British Airways is an airplane company but there is no such thing as "British airs". Each country can lay claim to their nearby open water but that is not the case with air. We also have international waters with the same meaning you stated.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Each country does indeed control its own airspace. You can ask the pilot of the Russian fighter jet shot down last year over airspace that Turkey claimed.

[EDIT] Actually you can't. He and his crew member were both killed.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I heard of air rights in construction but that makes sense.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It makes sense that governments can claim their own airspace.

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Thank you all for your comments.

I predict that in less half a century, a day may come when "British airs" mean the airspace which Great Britain claims as populism prevails in more countries around the globe.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I don't see the connection between populism and a new meaning for the word "airs".

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Populism has to do with the working class so I don't see it bears anything on the air. As GS stated earlier, countries already lay claim to their airspace. However I would expect to see something like British airspace or British skies. The air that we breath does not divide like tributaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.