Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi guys :) I'm so confused about the word "understatement". I've looked out that word in a dictionary and it means sorta like "underestimate", but I'm kinda confused when I have to put it in a sentence. Such as when people say "Saying that we're proud of them would be an understatement". It seems like my brain can't process that sentence. So do you mind explaining me what "understatement" is and give me some example?

Thank you :) xx

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understatement

"Understatement" is to minimize something. This is usually done on purpose. Like when you see a very attractive woman and say "she's not too bad looking."

Or when you have a flood and you comment "it looks like it rained a bit."

The sentence about being proud is stating that they are so proud that to say they are proud would be to understate it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi guys. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE] Please don't use home-made emoticons to replace punctuation marks. If you want to insert a smiley, use the :-D icon.

I've looked up that word in a dictionary and it means sort of like "underestimate", but I'm [STRIKE]kinda[/STRIKE] confused when I have to put it in a sentence.

Thank you. [STRIKE]:) xx[/STRIKE] See above. In any case, you don't need to thank us till you've got a useful answer, when you can click the Thank button.
'Sorta' and 'kinda' are not acceptable in this forum. You don't need to use 'kind of' at all.

xoleoni97

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Thank you so much :D

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
xoleoni97, clicking on the 'Thank' button can obviate the need for a new post saying 'Thank you', such is one of the many unwritten rules on this forum.

Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.