Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the following sentence correct and natural?

I couldn't able to do well in the work, my emotions went to unhappy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I wasn't able to do well at work, and I was unhappy about it.

Or:

I wasn't able to do the work very well, and I was unhappy about it.

J

J&K Tutoring

Not the least bit! It is the worst sort of Chinglish. Is my comment a little harsh? Maybe, but you need to try harder than this.

I look at the number of your posts and I think: Before you ask us, ask
yourself, "Do I think this is good English?"

Unless and until you can begin to think in English, you will continue to produce this kind of sentence- conceived in Chinese and translated into English.

It doesn't work.

Last edited:

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi J&K Tutoring,

You are totally correct. I'm absolute a beginner in English language. I have learn to study English for a long time. And have posted my sentences here for a period of time. It's quite long. I haven't any improved since I came here and posted my sentences here. Should I continue to study or give up to study English?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi J&K Tutoring,

You are totally correct. I'm an absolute beginner in English. [STRIKE]language.[/STRIKE] I have [STRIKE]learn to[/STRIKE] been studying English for a long time and have posted my sentences here for a period of time. It's quite long. I haven't noticed any improvement since I came here and posted my sentences here. Should I continue to study or give up studying English?

Hi Polyester. Learning a foreign language is never easy. It's very common and natural to feel frustrated and even to want to give up. Despite what you think, you are making meaningful progress, for example with your diction. In my opinion, you just need to get a better grasp of some basic grammar points and to practise writing shorter sentences. Don't give up yet. :)

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wasn't able to do the work very well, and I was unhappy about it.

Polyester, I'm guessing that the speaker kept at it, and he's doing much better now.
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Polyester, look at the multiple corrections in teechar's last post. You are not really a beginner if you have been studying for years. However, it seems to me that you had not totally grasped the basics before you tried to move on to more complicated constructions.

For example, after years of study you should know that "I am absolute a beginner" is not right. If you don't know why it's wrong, simplify it. Say "I am a beginner". Look at "I have learn to study". You can find the correct form of the present perfect of the verb "learn" in any good grammar book or simply by Googling "conjugate learn in English". Also, there was no reason to use both verbs. What you needed was "I have studied" or "I have been studying". Again, you could find those forms of the verb "study" very easily.

You should continue to study but you need to go back to studying areas that are suitable for a beginner. Also, before you post here, don't assume that what you have written is correct. Take the time to check all the verbs online or in a grammar book.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi emsr2d2,
Thank you your reply. I'm totally sure to tell you that some errors are the basic errors, but I can't find out. The reason is I think it is a correct sentence and natural but i don't think it is a perfect English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi emsr2d2,
Thank you for your reply.

Polyester, again you are biting off more than you can chew. Even that short sentence needed correcting. The rest is just a mess.

You do better when you write shorter, simpler sentences. Also, they are easier to correct when there are errors.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi emsr2d2.
This should end with a full stop.

Thank you for your reply.
You thank someone for something.

I'm [STRIKE]totally[/STRIKE] sure
Keep things simple. Use "I'm sure".

to tell you
This part doesn't make sense. You're not telling me anything.

that some errors are [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] basic errors,
No article was required there.

but I can't [STRIKE]find[/STRIKE] work them out.
You can check all your verb forms online or in a grammar book before you post.

The reason is
What you wrote after this is not a reason.

I think [STRIKE]it is a[/STRIKE] I write correct, natural sentences [STRIKE]and natural[/STRIKE]
Keep adjectives together when they refer to the same noun.

but I don't think [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] my English is perfect. [STRIKE]a perfect English.[/STRIKE]
"English" is uncountable, so we don't speak a perfect English, just perfect English.

See above. I have broken your entire post down into sections and explained the corrections. Again, you have tried to write long, complicated sentences that are beyond your capabilities. Your whole post could be written as:

"Thanks. I know I make basic errors but I don't know what they are."

Do you think you could have written the preceding sentences without making any errors?

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
See above. I have broken your entire post down into sections and explained the corrections. Again, you have tried to write long, complicated sentences that are beyond your capabilities. Your whole post could be written as:

"Thanks. I know I make basic errors but I don't know what they are."

Do you think you could have written the preceding sentences without making any errors?

I posted each sentence here and reviewed the sentence again and again. I don't think too many basic errors in the sentence. If the corrections that I could do by myself, my English level has reached to native speaker level.

I have been learning English for more than 5 years since I registered account here. I have nothing improved and made a lot of errors in my each sentences.
Do you think I haven't grammar books? Do you think I don't have checked the sentence corrections before posting here? I think English is a skill and also a communicate tool for me. I couldn't write perfect sentence until now, but I could write a short sentence without serious errors are my top aim to do. Once again, thank you for your reply.:up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]posted[/STRIKE] post each sentence here and [STRIKE]reviewed[/STRIKE] review the sentences again and again.
I assume you are saying that you regularly/always do that. If so, the present simple is the appropriate tense there. A simpler way for you to express this is "I always check my sentences before I post them."

I don't think there are too many basic errors in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] my sentences.
I disagree.

If [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] I could make corrections [STRIKE]that I could do by[/STRIKE] myself, my English level [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] would have reached [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] native speaker level.
You are not ready for this construction yet.

I have been learning English for more than 5 years, ever since I registered my/an account here.

I have [STRIKE]nothing[/STRIKE] not improved and I still [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] make a lot of errors in each of my [STRIKE]each[/STRIKE] sentences.

Do you think I haven't got any grammar books?
I don't know. Do you? Which books do you have?

Do you think I don't [STRIKE]have checked[/STRIKE] check [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] my sentences [STRIKE]corrections[/STRIKE] before posting here?
I don't know.

I think English is a skill and also a [STRIKE]communicate[/STRIKE] communication tool for me.
Language is a communication tool for everyone!

I couldn't write perfect long sentences [STRIKE]until[/STRIKE] before now, but [STRIKE]I could[/STRIKE] being able to write a short sentence without any serious errors [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] is my top aim. [STRIKE]to do.[/STRIKE]

Once again, thank you for your reply.:up:
Well done. That was a perfect sentence.

Please note my corrections and comments above.

Here is an example of a sentence you are not ready for. You wrote "Do you think I don't have checked ...?" I think you know that "I have checked" is the present perfect (positive) and "I have not checked" is the present perfect (negative). When you start with "Do you think ...", you should simply follow it with those forms.

Do you think I have checked my sentence?
Do you think I have not checked my sentence?

I have a cat.
Do you think I have a cat?

I don't have a cat.
Do you think I don't have a cat?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.