Student or Learner
Native Language
Sinhalese
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Sri Lanka
Hi Luschen,

I have written following letter, kindly request you rate this on scale of 0-9.

You are unhappy about a plan to make your local airport bigger and increase the number of flights. You live near the airport.
Write a letter to your local newspaper. In your letter
• explain where you live

describe the problem
give reasons why you do not want this development.

Dear sir/madam,
I am writing in regard to the article published in your newspaper on 17[SUP]th[/SUP] January, which discussed about the expansion of Colombo South Airport. I live just three kilometers away from the airport and still the noise is disturbing and expansion of it will definitely make it worst. Therefore please allow me to point out the problems, which may become serious if this airport is expanded.

As I already mentioned, noise would make lot of problems to people who live close to the airport, especially at night, the noise will be very disturbing and people will not be able to get a proper sleep after a busy working day. With the increase of the number of flights this problem can become a even more serious.

Further, according to your newspaper article, the expansion of the airport will utilize the plot of land, which is currently being used as the playground. Actually this is the only available area where people can organize some small sports events and the people who care about their health are using it as a place to do some morning exercises.

Therefore I would suggest, it is better if you can do an article about the problems, which may disturb day-to-day life of the people who live in this area.

Thank you,
Yours sincerely,
Elvina.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in regard to the article published in your newspaper on 17[SUP]th[/SUP] January, which [STRIKE]discussed[/STRIKE] was about the expansion of Colombo South Airport. I live just three kilometers away from the airport and [STRIKE]still[/STRIKE] the noise is already distressing; [STRIKE]disturbing and[/STRIKE] so any expansion of [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the airport will definitely make it worst. [STRIKE]Therefore please allow me to point out the problems, which may become serious if this airport is expanded.[/STRIKE]

As I've already mentioned, the noise is almost unbearable [STRIKE]would make lot of problems to[/STRIKE] for people who live close to the airport, and many of the local residents are not able to get a decent night's sleep [STRIKE]especially at night, the noise will be very disturbing and people will not be able to get a proper sleep[/STRIKE] after a busy working day. With the increase [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in the number of flights, this problem [STRIKE]can become a[/STRIKE] is likely to get even worse. [STRIKE]more serious.[/STRIKE]

Further, according to your newspaper article, the expansion of the airport will [STRIKE]utilize[/STRIKE] use the plot of land [STRIKE], which is currently being used as the[/STRIKE] where our local playground is located. Actually, this is the only available area where [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE] residents can organize some small sports events, and it's where many of the people living here do their [STRIKE]the people who care about their health are using it as a place to do some[/STRIKE] morning exercises.

Therefore, I urge the authorities to take into account our serious misgivings about this matter and not allow this project to go ahead. [STRIKE]would suggest, it is better if you can do an article about the problems, which may disturb day-to-day life of the people who live in this area.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Thank you,[/STRIKE]
Yours faithfully, [STRIKE]sincerely,[/STRIKE]
Elvina.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum, Elvina. :hi:

When are you going to submit this piece to your teacher/tutor?

Status
Not open for further replies.