[General] unless it was accompanied by more expansive provisions off the Democratic Party's wis

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I want to confirm my understanding of a sentence. The sentence has been taken from The Economist, July 3rd, 2021.

President Joe Biden backed down over his claim that he would not sign a bipartisan infrastructure bill worth roughly $1trn unless it was accompanied by more expansive provisions off the Democratic Party's wishlist, such as tax increases.

Words:
back down: Withdraw a claim or assertion in the face of opposition.
bipartisan : Involving the agreement or cooperation of two political parties that usually oppose each other's policies. This word refers to Democratic Party and Republican Party in the context of the United States.
accompany: Provide a complement or addition to. (The meaning here)
provision: A condition or requirement in a legal document.

Predicates:
- Joe Biden is a Democratic Party member and the United States' president.
- The Democratic Party has wishlist, and it contains the policies that it wants to be applied. This wishlist does not contain tax increases.

My Understanding:
1- President Joe Biden announced that he would not sign a bipartisan infrastructure bill that had been agreed upon by the Democratic Party and Republican Party if the bill did not contain tax increases.
2- Something happened.
3- President renounced step 1.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]I have a sentence that[/STRIKE] I want to confirm my understanding of a sentence. The sentence has been taken from The Economist, July 3rd, 2021.

(I prefer July 3, 2021.)

Words:
back down: Withdraw a claim or assertion in the face of opposition.
bipartisan : Involving the agreement or cooperation of two political parties that usually oppose each other's policies. This word refers to Democratic Party and Republican Party in the context of the United States.
accompany: Provide a complement or addition to. (The meaning here)
provision: A condition or requirement in a legal document.

Yes to all of the above.

Predicates:
- Joe Biden is a Democratic Party member and the United States' president.
- The Democratic Party has wishlist, and it contains the policies that it wants to be applied. This wishlist does not contain tax increases.

As I understand it, it would increase taxes on the rich and corporations. I have not read the Economist article.

My Understanding:
1- President Joe Biden [STRIKE][STRIKE]had[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] announced that he would not sign a bipartisan infrastructure bill that had been agreed upon by the Democratic Party and Republican Party if the bill did not contain[STRIKE]ed the[/STRIKE] tax increases.
2- Something [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] happened.
3- President renounced [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] step 1.
You could be right. Things have been changing quickly because they want to get it done before Congress's August recess.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Democrats' wish list does include tax increases. "More expansive provisions... such as tax increases"

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Biden initially said he wouldn't sign any infrastructure bill that didn't include some of the more expansive items on the Democrat's wish list (including but not limited to tax increases). Biden is now willing to consider signing it even if it doesn't have some of the more expansive items.

Tax increases were only one of the more expansive items. As written, the sentence doesn't preclude Biden's original position from signing it without tax increases, as long as it had some of the more expansive items on the list. However, he's now apparently willing to sign it if it doesn't include any of the expansive wish list items.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is "Something happened" supposed to mean?

Last edited:

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I want to split the storyline based on the time. For happening step 3, step 2 is needed. Step 2 would be convincing of Mr Biden to sign the bill by the Democratic Party members.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

For step three to happen step two must take place first.

(It still doesn't make sense. Forget it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.