Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Is such para idiomatic?

Until the worst is over. Everything loosened up a bit. There is heat in the house, although when it is cold, it is pretty cool and we need to put on warm clothes. Fleese jacket and hoodie are just rigt The water supply has been restored. Electricity is cut off regularly, generators are running. In some districts there is poor communication and Internet. They say that missiles are not fired in generation, but in distribution.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is such the following paragraph idiomatic grammatically correct and natural?

Until the worst is over. This is not a complete sentence.

Everything has loosened up a bit. What do you mean by "loosened up"?

There is heat in the house no comma here although, when it is cold, it is pretty cool and we need to put on warm clothes. This doesn't make sense. You already said it's cold. You can't then say it's "pretty cool". Which one is it?

Fleece jackets and hoodies are just right. Just right for what?

The water supply has been restored.

The electricity supply is cut off regularly but generators are running.

In some districts, there is poor communication and the internet connection is poor.

They say that missiles are not fired in generation, but in distribution. I have no idea what any part of this sentence means. Please explain it a different way.
See my corrections and comments above. I have put each sentence on its own line just to make it easier to follow.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Until the worst is over. This is not a complete sentence.
[The danger has passed but there is a risk of another massive attack next week]
Everything has loosened up a bit. What do you mean by "loosened up"?
[The situations is gradullay improving].
There is heat in the house no comma here although, when it is cold, it is pretty cool and we need to put on warm clothes. This doesn't make sense. You already said it's cold. You can't then say it's "pretty cool". Which one is it?
[cold]
Fleece jackets and hoodies are just right. Just right for what?
[If you have such kind of clothes at home, it will help. ]

In some districts, there is poor communication and the internet connection is poor
[internet plus mobile communication] .
They say that missiles are not fired in generation, but in distribution. I have no idea what any part of this sentence means. Please explain it a different way.
[They say that the key target of attackes is not water or electricity generation systems but the systems/equipment which provide for distribution (e.g. for end users).]

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
They say that the key target of attackes is not water or electricity generation systems but the systems/equipment which provide for distribution (e.g. for end users).]
Can I say/write instead "Missiles slammed into substations as the part of energy systems. Heat generation facilities were also hit."?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
There is heat in the house, although when it is cold, it is pretty cool and we need to put on warm clothes.
I think what you mean here is: There is heat in the house, but when it gets cold [outside], the house still becomes quite chilly and we have to put on warm clothes.

Last edited:

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

Ms. Worth

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think what you mean here is: There is heat in the house, but when it gets cold [outside], the house still becomes quite chilly and we have to put on warm clothes.
I'd like to read the kind of "warm clothes" the OP means.
Do ordinary sweaters suffice, or do the people need winter jackets and warm hats to wear indoors?

The house is heated, but when it gets cold out, the rooms are quite chilly. Then we have to put on scarves and thick sweaters -- sometimes even gloves and knitted hats.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Can I I say "Internet and mobile communication were disrupted or partially disappeared"?
"Internet and mobile communication has been disrupted in some places."

Last edited by a moderator:

Ms. Worth

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Adding " ... or partially disappeared" doesn't add any real information, but it does make the sentence harder to read because it draws the reader's attention to womdering what is meant by "a partially disappeared mobile communication."

Just leave that expression off, like this:
> Internet and mobile communication were disrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.