Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Excerpted from Out of Africa

"Look here now,” he said, “Lulu has explained to her husband that there is nothing up by the houses to be afraid of, but all the same he dares not come".

Lulu is a gazelle. I could not find out the meaning of "up by" in any dictionary. is it equal to "up to"?

Thanks Teacher!

No. The words don't belong together. '...there is nothing up' and 'by the houses...'. So it means "there was nothing to be afraid of going on + near the houses [that is where nothing was going on]".

b

No. The words don't belong together. '...there is nothing up' and 'by the houses...'. So it means "there was nothing to be afraid of going on + near the houses [that is where nothing was going on]".

b

What is meaning of "up" in "there is nothing up" please? "Up" has many meanings and I could not figure out what it takes in this sentence.

I read it as "There is nothing + up by the houses". I did not even consider Bob's understanding of it until I read post #2.

There is nothing to be afraid of near the houses.

Sorry for the red herring. The more prosaic meaning hadn't even occurred to me. After a few years of EFL teaching, one sees phrasal verbs lurking everywhere:)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back