Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
India
Is the following usage of more often and more frequent correct?

Person A to Person B : I.have never been to.Florida.
Person B to Person A: I.have been to florida more often than you have.I have been there thrice.

As far as I know ,the usage of more often or more frequent implicates that both events take place ,or we can use more often/more frequent only to compare 2 events in which each event has frequency >0 ,and not 1 event with frequency=0 to an event with frequency >0.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are the following uses of more often and more frequent correct?

Person A to Person B[no space]: I [no period] have never been to [no period] Florida.
Person B to Person A: I [no period] have been to Florida [STRIKE]more often than you have[/STRIKE]. [space] I have been there three times.

As far as I know[no space], [space] the use of more often or more frequently implies that both events take place[no space], [space] or we can use more often/more frequently only to compare two events in which each event has a frequency of >0[no space], [space]and not one event with a frequency [space] =0 to an event with a frequency of >0.
If I've never been to Florida, you would just say you've been there three times. You would not say you go there more often or more frequently.

If I've been there once, you could say you've been there more often or more frequently.

Remember that often and frequently are adverbs and frequent is an adjective. So your trips there are more frequent than mine, and you go there more frequently.

Put spaces after periods and commas.

Do not put spaces before periods and commas.

Do not put periods randomly between words.

I didn't try to correct your >0 and =0, but using math symbols in text isn't natural.

(Cross-post.)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's a difference between "more" and "more often/more frequently".

John: I've been to Florida once.
Helen: In that case, I've been there more than you have. I've been twice!

John: I go to Florida every six months.
Helen: I go more often/frequently than that. I go every three months.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In my opinion, doing something only once is not enough for it to be considered as having frequency. That is to say, for a comparison of frequency to be made, each event must have a frequency greater than 1, not 0.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
lopoloyasi[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif], [/FONT]please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice provide the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.

Furthermore, we need you to amend your profile information. You appear to have made a random selection from the options available.

Status
Not open for further replies.