Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

I know the usage of the expression “use is made” in sentences as “Use is made of the fact that….”.

Would you tell me whether there is a proper usage of the expression in question in the following sentences?

We know that the neutron is electrically neutral and use can be made of that property.

Several systems of units can be used to express electrical quantities, in this book use is made of the meter-kilogram-second system.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes.

I would say, "The kilogram-second-system is used", but that is simply personal preference.

Reactions: vil

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
----- Not an ESL teacher -----

Dear teachers,

I know the usage of the expression “use is made” in sentences as “Use is made of the fact that….”.

Would you tell me whether there is a proper usage of the expression in question in the following sentences?

We know that the neutron is electrically neutral and use can be made of that property.

Several systems of units can be used to express electrical quantities, in this book use is made of the meter-kilogram-second system.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

OK, if fivejedjon answered 'yes' I shall not dispute that.

However, I must say that, if I read any of these two sentences (mainly the second) within a text I would be inclined to check the writer's nationality.

Maybe the first one would sound more natural if you continued the sentence:
We know that the neutron is electrically neutral and use can be made of that property in order to ...
We know that the neutron is electrically neutral and use can be made of that property for ...

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.