Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi Everyone,

I have to teach a lesson on the use of quite with extreme adjectives ( E.g. Exhausted, soaked, etc) . The teacher's book ( New cutting edge) says Quite can only be used- in British English- with some extreme adjectives like exhausted , soaked, terrible and deafening and not with others like hilarious, huge, etc. Is there some reason behind this? I would like to know -- as my students would definitely like to know!

Thanks ,

Arun

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi Everyone,

I have to teach a lesson on the use of quite with extreme adjectives ( E.g. Exhausted, soaked, etc) . The teacher's book ( New cutting edge) says Quite can only be used- in British English- with some extreme adjectives like exhausted , soaked, terrible and deafening and not with others like hilarious, huge, etc. Is there some reason behind this? I would like to know -- as my students would definitely like to know!

Thanks ,

Arun

I wouldn't use "quite" with any of those adjectives.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the sense of 'completely' rather than 'fairly', I might use 'quite' before 'exhausted' (after running a marathon) and 'deafening' (of a pneumatic drill).

But I might also say 'Ken Dodd is quite hilarious' (he is very funny).

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Granted that there are a good many adjectives with which one would never use quite, I do not see how this supposed rule could help students of esl to learn which they are. The cases are too numerous.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it's a question of collocation rather than rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.