Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Kindly tell me if it is possible to use singular verb for two entities. For example-
(i) Diligence and perseverance is needed for success in life.
(ii) His unwavering dedication and hard word is unparralled.

In the above two sentences, can entities like 'diligence and perseverance' and 'unwavering dedication and hard work' be treated as a single entity under any circumstances?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If the two things are associated and considered to make up a single entity, you can. These are not particularly good examples for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Kindly[/STRIKE] Please tell me if it is possible to use a singular verb for two entities. For example:

(i) Diligence and perseverance is needed for success in life.
(ii) His unwavering dedication and hard work is [STRIKE]unparralled[/STRIKE] unparalleled.

In the above two sentences, can entities like 'diligence and perseverance' and 'unwavering dedication and hard work' be treated as [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] single entities under any circumstances?

Please note my corrections above.

It is possible to use a singular verb for something that includes two nouns but is often seen as one thing. A good example from BrE is "fish and chips". Even though those are two different foods, when served together they make up a very traditional takeaway meal. Because of that, you will hear things like "Fish and chips is my favourite Friday night dinner".

Status
Not open for further replies.