Verb Tense-S was/had been... for XX...--Tom was in this shop for 10 years when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. Tom worked/had worked in this shop for 10 years when he was young. But he left there many years ago.
2. Jim was/had been a teacher for ten years, from 1995 to 2005. Now he is a salesman.
3. Mrs. Won was/had been in our class for three months, but then she left school to get a job

In the red parts of the three sentences above, the answers are all was (the simple past tense). But, I myself would choose had been (the past perfect tense), because of the terms of for a period of time. Could anybody tell me what are the real answers here? And, in sentence 3, is "but then" used correctly? Why not "and then"? Thanks!

P.S
Probably two of the three sentences are either from my teacher's handouts or from my grammar book (Azar).
(I'm not sure because I am now on winter vacation living at home, but most of my books are in my dorm. I copied those sentences into Word long time a ago.) And, sentence 1 is from one of my Facebook Group. There's someone asking that sentence, and I copied it.

Also, the title should be
[h=2]Verb Tense-S was/had been... for XX...--Tom "worked" in this shop for 10 years when...[/h]

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please cite the source of these sentences.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would use "was" in all of them. The first sentence in #1 is odd. What was Tom doing in the shop for 10 years?

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I would use "was" in all of them. The first sentence in #1 is odd. What was Tom doing in the shop for 10 years?
OMG! I'm so sorry. It is a big typo. It should be Tom worked or had worked...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In that case "worked" is correct.

Status