Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:
Should I use “version or versions”?

Background:
For some very famous movies, there are many version, eg, English version, Japanese version, Chinese version, etc.

Sentence:
I discussed the content in the English version / versions of some of my girlfriend’s favor movies.

My opinion:
“version” should be used, because, for each movie, there is 1 English version only.
“movies rather than movie” is used, so we don’t need to write “versions” to tell the reader that there are more than 1 favor movie.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:
Should I use “version or versions”?

Background:
For some very famous movies, there are many version, eg, English version, Japanese version, Chinese version, etc.

Sentence:
I discussed the content in the English version / versions of some of my girlfriend’s favor movies.

My opinion:
“version” should be used, because, for each movie, there is 1 English version only.
“movies rather than movie” is used, so we don’t need to write “versions” to tell the reader that there are more than 1 favor movie.

Thanks

When you list them ie "English version, Japanese version etc etc" then the singular is fine. However, in your original sentence you have put "there are many version". This is incorrect - the use of there ARE and the word MANY means that you must use the plural, therefore "there are many versions...."

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi,

My opinion:
version” should be used, because, for each movie, there is 1 English version only. “movies rather than movie” is used, so we don’t need to write versions” to tell the reader that there are more than 1 favor movie.

Thanks
(Not a teacher)
I think in your opinion quoted above, there is another subject-verb agreement problem. Can you spot that?;-)

uktous

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
(Not a teacher)
I think in your opinion quoted above, there is another subject-verb agreement problem. Can you spot that?;-)

"I think in your opinion quoted above, there is another subject-verb agreement problem. Can you spot that?"

No, sorry, could you please tell me my problem?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

"I think in your opinion quoted above, there is another subject-verb agreement problem. Can you spot that?"

No, sorry, could you please tell me my problem?

My opinion:
version” should be used, because, for each movie, there is 1 English version only. “movies rather than movie” is used, so we don’t need to write versions” to tell the reader that there is more than 1 favourite movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.