Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I have seen the expressions of "view somebody as" and "treat someone like", but couldn't remember I've ever seen "see someone as".

1. "View somebody as" means the impression of someone that is not who he/she is and often some actions would follow.
Are there other expressions to say the same?

2. "Treat someone like" means doing something to someone who doesn't deserve it.
Are there other expressions to say the same?

3. Is the expression of "see someone as" also used by native speakers?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As always, please give us full sentences to consider.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. "View somebody as" means the impression of someone that is not who he/she is and often some actions would follow.

It's hard to know what you mean by that.

I might view someone as superior to me, and I might be right or I might be wrong.

I don't think it means what you think it means.

You might want to post some complete sentences using that expression.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It's hard to know what you mean by that.

I might view someone as superior to me, and I might be right or I might be wrong.

I don't think it means what you think it means.

You might want to post some complete sentences using that expression.

Thanks!

Your reply has already helped me.

In your above sentence, "view someone as" means "I think someone is".

But it's not my question. I am trying to find the terms to describe what I am describing.

If who I think someone is is not who someone actually is out of my own wishes (a twisted impression) and, sometimes I even go further, I would do something to someone based on my own twisted impression of him/her, what should I say?

For example:

1. The fraud quickly discovered that the man was friendly and unsuspecting. He then believed he'd got the right victim and started to defraud, while in fact the friendly man was a plain-clothes policeman.

The fraud (what word here?) the man (what word here?) the right victim. (I know "mistake ... for" works. Are there other terms that fit that situation?)

2. Bob is domineering in our company but in fact he's just an ordinary employee without an important role. The new employees don't know that and they (what word I should use here?) him (is "as" correct here?) an important person and some even behave submissively before him.

3. "Treat someone like (who someone is not)."

Before people treat someone like ..., they may deliberately (what word here?) someone (what word here?) someone to justify their treatment.

He visited his sister to borrow some money. But she brushed him off like a beggar.
His sister (what word here) him (what word here) a beggar.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If who I think someone is is not who someone actually is out of my own wishes (a twisted impression) and, sometimes I even go further, I would do something to someone based on my own twisted impression of him/her, what should I say?

Unfortunately, that is confusing to me. Perhaps you could rewrite that extremely long sentence, substituting three or four shorter sentences for it.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Unfortunately, that is confusing to me. Perhaps you could rewrite that extremely long sentence, substituting three or four shorter sentences for it.

I rewrite it in a wrong way but it's easier for you to understand.

I (see/view) someone (what word here) what to justify my actions.

I see him as a thief and beat him. (The fact is he's not a thief but, what I see him as justifies my action, either knowingly or unknowingly.)
I see him as God and worship him. (The fact is he's not God but, what I see him as justifies what I do to him.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I rewrite it in a wrong way but it's easier for you to understand.

I would hope you would rewrite it the right way. ;-)

I (see/view) someone (what word here) what to justify my actions.

I see someone a certain way, and that influences my behavior.

I see him as a thief and beat him. (The fact is he's not a thief but, what I see him as justifies my action, either knowingly or unknowingly.)
I see him as God and worship him. (The fact is he's not God but, what I see him as justifies what I do to him.)

Your views on somebody or something might influence your behavior but doesn't necessarily justify it.

I think we are making progress.

I know I have said this a hundred times, but you need to keep your sentences fairly short.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.