Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
When talking of some requirements laid down by law, there's an ironic way in some languages in which to speak of something that is voluntary in theory but compulsory in practice or unavoidable due to circumstances. To give an example, in Russian this combination of words is "в добровольно-принудительном порядке".

Is there a neat way of saying this (or conveying a similar thought) in British English neatly other than translating the phrase literally as "voluntary-compulsory" so that it does not stand out as an example of broken English?

Thank you very much!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

I figure that, if the people who are with me when speaking of it would understand me, I would say "voluntary" with air-quotes. I don't know whether there is a word in English for what you mean; we'll have to wait for natives on that one.:up:

charliedeut

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People sometimes speak of being "volunteered" for an assignment or something like that at work. The use of the passive makes it clear that they did not really choose to volunteer, but rather had an assignment put on them by a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.