Waive and waive off / he has an exam and he has to take an exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I request you to read the following sentence and correct me please if you find any mistake in it. I want to know the difference between "waive off" and "waive" and the difference between 'he has an exam" and "he has to take an exam". Can they be used interchangeably.

Prof.X has sent you an email requesting for your approval on waiving off a student's fee. As student has to take an exam today, please have a look on that email urgently.

Last edited:
I'd use "waiving" and not "waiving off" there.

Usually, adding "off" conveys an impression of finality, for want of a better word.
He finished the food/He finished off the food.
He ran to his room/He ran off to his room.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear "waiving off" but I wouldn't use it. I don't think "off" goes with "waive".

difference between 'he has an exam" and "he has to take an exam".
The first means he has an exam coming up. The second means he has to write an exam. There isn't much difference but they aren't exactly the same.

Prof.X has sent you an email requesting for your approval on waiving off a student's fee. As student has to take an exam today, please have a look on that email urgently.
I'd write this differently but will stick to your original words as much as possible.

Prof.[insert space]X has sent you an email asking requesting you to approve waiver of for your approval on waiving off a student's fee(s). As that student has to take an exam today, please reply to have a look on that email immediately/as soon as possibleurgently.

PS: Is the above intended to be in writing? If it's something you're actually saying, I'd expect it to be worded quite differently.

Last edited:
"Waive off" is flat-out wrong.

That's right. The phrase "wave off" comes from naval aviation. If the landing signals officer of an aircraft carrier is unhappy with the approach they forbid the pilot from attempting to land by waving them off.

We were speaking of "waive". :)

PS: Or was that a joke I was too slow to get? :)

Not a joke. "Waive off" is nonsensical, as ems pointed out. "Wave off", however, is a term of art in naval aviation.

Not a joke. "Waive off" is nonsensical, as ems pointed out. "Wave off", however, is a term of art in naval aviation.

And ice hockey.

Ah, I disagree with you there.

Plain hockey means only one thing - what we play over here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_hockey

You guys play a variant, and an unevolved one at that. I mean, how do you condone fighting during play? :cool:

They blow the whistle. It's not "during play."

When you remove the physicality from hockey, it's just soccer. Who wants to watch that?

Last edited:
asking requesting you to approve waiver of for your approval on waiving off a student's fee(s)

Or
asking (approval from you) for a student's fees to be waived.

Last edited:
Say:

few million

And it's many million (not just a few).

P.S. A couple of the English football teams have quite a rivalry, each with many fans in Kenya.

asking requesting you to approve waiver of for your approval on waiving off a student's fee(s)
Barque suggested these changes in post #2.

Say:

few million

And it's many million (not just a few).
"A few millions" is idiomatic. Perhaps not in AE, since you're an AE speaker? It means a few groups of about a million each. If you care to google, you'll find it used by native speakers.

I agree it's factually wrong and I should have said "The many millions".

"A few millions" is idiomatic. Perhaps not in AE, since you're an AE speaker? It means a few groups of about a million each. If you care to google, you'll find it used by native speakers.

I agree it's factually wrong and I should have said "The many millions".
No, not in American English.

No, not in American English.
After some googling, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, though I normally wouldn't. Perhaps someone else will chip in.

I request you to read the following sentence and correct me please if you find any mistake in it. I want to know the difference between "waive off" and "waive" and the difference between 'he has an exam" and "he has to take an exam". Can they be used interchangeably.

@Ms. Worth please explain your post. "Requesting for your aporoval" is just as wrong as "waive off". Both of those expressions may be common in the subcontinent but they are quite unnatural elsewhere.

Prof.X
Professor X

has sent you an email requesting for your approval
The expression is "requesting ... ", not "requesting for ... "
has sent you an email requesting your approval

on
The expression is "approval of" (or also "to"), not "approval on"
of
In this case, the sentence structure can best use "approval to."

waiving off
"waiving off" implies dismissal as below notice.
"The waiter waived off a charge for the broken glass."
In this case, Professor X asked to have the fee "waived" -- forgiven, not charged to the student.
to waive

a student's fee. As student
a student's fee. As the student

has to take an exam today,
In this case, "has an exam" is better
has an exam today,

please have a look on that email urgently.
The expression is "look at," not "look on."
But in any case, what the sender wants is a response.
please get back to me as soon as possible.
- or maybe (depending on what action is expected)
please respond to this request as soon as possible.
------------------

From this ...
... to this:
Professor X has sent you an email requesting your approval to waive a student's fee. As the student has an exam today, please respond to this request as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back