Waive and waive off / he has an exam and he has to take an exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
... to this:
Professor X has sent you an email requesting your approval to waive a student's fee.
I'm not sure that use of "requesting" is correct, but am happy to be corrected.

It'd work if you replaced "requesting" with "asking for".
...asking for your approval to waive...

Another option is "requesting that you approve waiver of a student's fee(s)."

Last edited:
"Waive off" is a colloquialism, a casual form of "dismissed as worthless, of negligible importance, not tolerant of discussion or debate."
> The boss waived off the employees' silly request to have the afternoon off.
> The politician waived off the reporter's persistent question as unworthy of a response.
But:
> The dentist waived his fee for the elderly man.
> The bank waived the normal processing charges.
--------------
"requesting for your approval" is always wrong as far as any examples I can think of.

> The boss waived off the employees' silly request to have the afternoon off.
> The politician waived off the reporter's persistent question as unworthy of a response.
You're confusing "waived" with "waved".

I would expect to hear:

take the afternoon off

It'd w

It'd work if you replaced "requesting" with "asking for". Another option is "requesting that you approve waiver of a student's fee(s)."
It's a lot more casual to say "asking for."
If this is an email between academics who are not well acquainted, I think they would use "requesting."
In AmE, the final period is inside the parentheses.

I think you have to use an article before "waiver"
> Another option is "requesting that you approve THE waiver of a student's fee."

Hey, Barque ~
Yours is a much better way to phrase this!

You're confusing "waived" with "waved".
Maybe so.
I considered that and googled it, but in the end I decided that the best usage is "waive."
"Wave" does have the connotation of a hand-flapping dismissal, and I think that's the origin of the use of the word "wave" for "waived."

Let me see what Longman's says.

I considered that and googled it, but in the end I decided that the most common usage is "waive."
You're wrong. They mean different things.

Maybe so.
I considered that and googled it, but in the end I decided that the best usage is "waive."
"Wave" does have the connotation of a hand-flapping dismissal, and I think that's the origin of the use of the word "wave" for "waived."

Let me see what Longman's says.
Longman defines "waive off" as dismissal, waive (ha ha)

I'd use "waiving" and not "waiving off" there.

Usually, adding "off" conveys an impression of finality, for want of a better word.
He finished the food/He finished off the food.
He ran to his room/He ran off to his room.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear "waiving off" but I wouldn't use it. I don't think "off" goes with "waive".

The first means he has an exam coming up. The second means he has to write an exam. There isn't much difference but they aren't exactly the same.

I'd write this differently but will stick to your original words as much as possible.

Prof.[insert space]X has sent you an email asking requesting you to approve waiver of for your approval on waiving off a student's fee(s). As that student has to take an exam today, please reply to have a look on that email immediately/as soon as possibleurgently.

PS: Is the above intended to be in writing? If it's something you're actually saying, I'd expect it to be worded quite differently.

Yes, I took this to be an emailed exchange, but who knows?
Maybe the people are talking face to face, and I just didn't pick up on that from the submission.

I put it inside the parentheses. It works outside as well. What's your point?

No article is necessary.

According to the MLA
"This placement is traditional in the United States. William Strunk, Jr., and E. B. White, writing in 1959, noted that “[t]ypographical usage dictates the comma be inside the marks, though logically it seems not to belong there” (36). In other words, in the predigital era, when fonts were fixed-width, setting a period or comma outside the quotation marks would have created an unsightly gap:" <-- Look!
https://style.mla.org/punctuation-and-quotation-marks/

But when desktop publishing became widespread, many pieces were edited and proofread by the authors, who also objected to the spotty, pock-marked look of all those dangling, escaped periods, so the practice of enclosing periods (and quotation marks) inside the parentheses became dominant.
---------------

There should be an article there.

Last edited:
@Ms. Worth please explain your post. "Requesting for your aporoval" is just as wrong as "waive off". Both of those expressions may be common in the subcontinent but they are quite unnatural elsewhere.
I agree with this:
"Requesting for your approval" is not used in this way in AmE.
----------------

American hegemony can live with the opinions of all the places that are "elsewhere."
We are aware of some funny locutions from "elsewhere."

I spoke to a caller from Kolkata, who demanded $1000 in gift cards.
He told me that his name was "Abraham," and when I asked his last name, he said "Lincoln."
He told me he was calling from New York City, and agreed that he enjoyed looking at the Golden Gate Bridge every day.
I pointed out that his accent did not sound like that of a person born and raised in New York, but he insisted he didn't have an accent. However, he could not name the high school he had attended, and finally admitted that he dropped out of school at the age of 13.
When I laughingly refused to send him the gift cards, he said -- in an accent from elsewhere -- that he would kidnap my grandmother and send her to Russ-see-ah and "put her behind der (sic) bars for twenty years on a murder case."

A most entertaining call, thanks to an English speaker from elsewhere!

I just remembered. It was called Xavier High School. And by Golden Gate I meant Brooklyn of course.

Honest Abe.

Last edited:

...asking for your approval to waive...

Another option is "requesting that you approve waiver of a student's fee(s)."
In finance, the expression is used as a noun:
"The loan was given a waive-off."

The problem with "wave" is that it has no connection to the meaning of "dismiss" as in "waive."

It isn't reasonable that there is a waiver (dismissal)
and a waive-off (a type of write off)
and the verb to waive

... but then it switches to wave?

According to Khatabook
Meaning of Waived Off
In business, a waiver is relinquishing a right or privilege. When a party waives off a right, they give up the opportunity to take advantage of that right at a later time. There are many reasons why a party might waive off their rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back