Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
"A guy approaches a woman at a bar.

GUY: Can I buy you a drink?
WOMAN: It's an open bar.

Just then the bartender serves her a drink.
WOMAN: Thanks. (then, to the guy) Was there anything else you wanted?"

Would 'was there anything else you wanted?' sound natural here? Is the past tense the best choice?

larabeth

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Was there anything else you wanted? I think it's a brush-off and conversation stopper after he buys you a drink--why accept his drink?
I wouldn't accept it if that's what you mean; this leads someone to pay for your drink and possibly be angry at you.

A polite-quick-brush-off would be:
'Thanks for the drink; what causes your presence here tonight?' If you don't like him talk to someone else.

A polite definite brush-off might be: choose to make the response more kind overall and a little less "purchase" oriented--After all, he could want 'you'?
For example, "Thank you for the drink. I've had an awful day and don't feel like talking."

He can figure out you're learning English; that's exhausting, but he's only appreciated for being a good guy. You can provide this information without speaking.

Why did you ask him if there was anything else he wanted (to buy), like you were up for purchase, anyway? Don't you hear it that way?

I'm from the USA-maybe it's different in different cultures.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Topstudent, yes, the past tense is normal in this situation. She considers the "matter" closed and she's hinting to him that she wants him to leave her alone. The matter's in the past, as it were.

On the other hand, if she'd been a customer service person in a store who'd just answered a customer's question, she might ask "Is there anything else I can help you with?" Here the choice of tense shows she's open to more questions.

I think it's a brush-off and conversation stopper after he buys you a drink--why accept his drink?
The woman said it was an open bar, so he couldn't have bought her a drink.

I agree it seems a brush-off. She effectively told him, "No, you can't buy me a drink (because the drinks are free)" and then she hinted to him that she'd like to be left alone. But of course we don't know how she said it. Depending on her tone of voice and body language, it could have meant "I know you want to talk to me, and I'm fine with that".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.